Window Putty Curing Time

In 20+ years of working on my house, I've only had to replace glass twice at times when the sash had to be reinstalled quickly because of bad weather. In both cases, I primed & painted the sashes within 24 hours of applying the putty, which was still soft, but had formed a skin. And, in both cases, I completely forgot to check on the situation until months later, and found that the putty had hardened properly. In other words, I have no idea if the putty hardened in days, weeks, or months.
I just installed new glass in another sash, but this one could sit on the bench in the basement for a few days, if necessary. Should this be enough for hardening? If not, how long is usually about right?

at
In
the
Putty can take weeks to set up and years to harden, if you use the old fashioned linseed oil based stuff. Newer glazing compounds may cure faster, but usually painting and drying info is on the can. Old style putty can be painted once it skins over, which in hot weather is pretty fast. Yes, a few days would be fine for hardening enuf to mount the window. If oil based putty, only certain paints can be used - oil based, for starters.
I think it's more of a drying process than curing. So, if you paint too soon, the coat of paint will extend the time it takes for the putty to dry and harden. I find the paint doesn't stick as well either if the putty is too soft. I usually wait a couple of weeks, the longer the better.

at
In
the

twice
weather.
the
found
the
enough

Depends on what you're using for putty. Read the can.
Doug Kanter wrote:

If you want a putty that sets up quickly, make your own with boiled linseed oil and whiting. That's all regular putty is except that it uses raw linseed oil which dries much more slowly.