window in shower

I am in the midst of a complete bathroom renovation. Gutted the entire room down to the studs and subfloor. The floorplan can't change so rearranging fixtures is out of the question. What could change is the fact that centered along the long side of the tub/shower is a window.

The studs are rotten and barely attached to the homosote sheathing and the window has almost no support. The vynil siding is about two years old and doesn't get direct sunlightand was not a special order color. The window is a vynil replacement window installed at the same time as the siding. A cast iron tub will be installed with a ceramic tile surround. A vent fan/light will be installed. The house is about 35 years old.

Should the studs be replaced/repaired and the window left in place or should I have the window removed and the sheathing/siding patched in?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

It will just fail again, if you dont remove the window completely.

But if there are no other windows then add a good vent fan with outside exhaust

Reply to
hallerb

You need a vent in there. Its either a window or electric vent fan. Pick your poison and go with it. Personally I am not a fan of having a window in the shower. I would simply repair any damage that is in there and close the whole thing off. Putting in a good vent is easy with everything open.

One other thing is I recommend Panasonic Vents. Great quality stuff and its quiet.

Tom

Reply to
tksirius

remember to either leave the dioor open a crack or add a intake vent in the door so air can flow, if you opt for a vent fan

Reply to
hallerb

I, on the other hand, am a big fan of having windows in everyone else's shower.

Reply to
HeyBub

so your a contractor? that explains why you like them.......

dependable source of income......

Reply to
hallerb

"Limp Arbor" wrote

I have a window in my shower. It used to be a double-hung window until I had the bathroom remodelled. I replaced top half of the window with a casement window, and the siding/sheathing was patched in.

It's high enough no one can see into the bathroom, and you can crank it open for some air circulation. Worked out great for me.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Hmmm... I got a different meaning from what he said. Think about it. :-)

Reply to
willshak

I am home sick, slow today:(

GOT IT NOW!:)

Reply to
hallerb

What if I stood on a box atop a chair and leaned way over to the right with a mirror on a stick?

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote

(laugh!) Nope, well, maybe if you stood on the neighbor's garage roof. Nah, not even then. One thing I'm not sure I maide clear, the half window has the advantage that the shower no longer hits it. Previously the window and sill were rotting because of that. Problem completely solved, and I didn't have to go to a windowless bathroom, which I wouldn't like.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Okay.... How about on the neighbor's roof with a suitable plank, door mirror or two, plus binoculars with night vision capability?

Help me out; I'm trying to stock up on the proper gear here.

Reply to
HeyBub

Remember a window in a shower should be tempered glass. You can usually get these in frosted, pebbled or otherwise obscured.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, replace the rotted studs, or at a minimum, stabilize with epoxy or something while walls are open. Bathrooms without daylight are a big turnoff for buyers- I'd try to find some way to keep it. In a shower, I'd look at glass block, especially if this isn't on street side. With glass block, you can flush it in to the new tile, and eliminate the mold-breeding crevice problems.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

just mount a ireless camera on a bedroom window..........

probably less risk to find what you want on the net.

elminates fall hazard, getting caught, tv and newspapers with your photo, time spent in the slammer. do what floats your boat.

I once considered buying a home next to my best friend, I was dating his daughter.

My buddy said I can see the telescope now:)

Reply to
hallerb

I agree light in a bathroom is a plus. However, what we're talking about is a window over a tub/shower. IMO, if it's a nice window located where it makes sense, that's great. For example, you see this on high end new construction, where the tub may have windows nearby, like a couple feet away, but it's not right on top of the tub and the bath has a seperate shower. Your eye is drawn to it and it's an attractive feature of the bathroom

On the other hand, if it's a small plain window right on top of a bath/ shower, I think it doesn't add much, if anything and it's just another cleaning, maintenance issue and I'd likely eliminate it.

In a shower, I'd look at

Reply to
trader4