window getting wet from inside

Reply to
boubou

Not guaranteed - but pretty darn close.

see:

where it says: "Indoor Humidity The most critical item in preventing moisture damage is to keep indoor relative humidity at reasonable levels during the heating season. While exceptionally dry conditions may cause respiratory problems and shrinking of wood furniture or trim, humidities of 30 to 40 percent appear to prevent these problems. When indoor humidity exceeds 40 percent during cold weather, moisture problems begin to appear. It is difficult even with proper vapor retarders to construct a house that will not have condensation problems when indoor humidity exceeds 40 percent. When a house is retrofitted with insulation without the benefit of vapor retarders and air leakage control, an even lower humidity may be required. Persistent condensation on double-glazed windows is a good indicator that relative humidity is too high and may cause damage to the exterior finish."

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

You and Nick are *both* *ASSUMING* the humidity level is too high. I'm merely pointing out that another explanation is the humidity is okay and the inside of his windows, if they are single pane, with aluminum frames is too cold. Think about it.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

High humidity *could* be the OP's problem and that would lead to some other issues.

But high humidity alone would *not* lead to *FROST* on the inside of the window as the OP has. That can only happen if the inside surface of the window/frame is really cold (

Reply to
daestrom

Reply to
boubou

With no interior moisture source and interior surfaces that are no colder than outdoor air, how can we have condensation indoors?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Look on a humidity meter. Ours says indicates normal from 50 to 75 percent. Humidity in our house usually runs between 50 and 65 percent. My wife complains anytime the humidity drops below 50 percent. And no, our windows don't get wet.

Condensation on the glass means that the glass is cold. To stop condensation increase the insulation (add more layers of glass) or increase air circulation.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The moisture levels are too high for the insulation and environmental conditions. Constantly wet windows and walls lead to mold and bacteria growth and encourage lung diseases.

Of course the problem can be solved with either or both. The best is more insulation.

BTW:I replaced sashless windows with aluminum units in my previous house and they were equal or even nicer in some ways than my current double glazed all vynyl units. They were thermally broken and built like two completely independant window systems fastened together. More air gap than the best size though.

message

is too high. I'm

humidity is okay and the

aluminum frames is too

Reply to
Solar Flare

All windows, almost regardless of R value, will have some condensation given enough indoor moisture and temperature difference in:out

would it be the

condensation AND ice build

in message

message

would lead to some

on the inside of the

inside surface of the

for 70F and 30RH is

and stop the inside

Reply to
Solar Flare

George, how cold does it get where you live? Over 50% humidiy here in winter will get you mold problems and structural damage.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
boubou
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

When you take a shower, does the bathroom mirror fog up? Does this mean that there is something wrong with your mirror and you need to buy a new one?

When the same thing happens to a window for the same reason, why do people always blame the window?

John

Reply to
John‰]

nope, mirror doesn't fog up. Not too much humidity in the house, then what? Seems like the answer lies in the glass behing too cold....some other windows have better insulant between the two panes of glass.

Reply to
boubou

Fewer condensation problems. High-performance Quieter home. High-performance windows often windows stay warmer in the winter resulting in drier utilize multiple glazing and insulated frames. These windows with fewer condensation-related problems. features reduce unwanted noise from the outside. Condensation can stain fabrics, lead to mold and

mildew build-up, and in cold climates cause damage

Reply to
boubou

-25 F, but that's the extreme, low teens to zero is a fairly common low in December and January. Winters are highly variable. We have no problems with mold, no problem with structural damage. The ambient humidity varies quiet a bit though out the day and most statistics for the area (average monthly and daily highs and lows, etc.) don't provide a real picture. Natural humidity is pretty low. Weather broadcasts in the summer will often indicate a humidity level of 50 percent, but that is likely only for an hour or two with most of the day below 30 percent. This also an area of low precipitation, annual average is in the 11 inch range.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Argon helps- a LITTLE bit - but thermopane basically is thermopane. Non-conductive spacer bars help with "edge freezing", but if you are getting wet window panes and ice, your humidity - WHATEVER it is, is TOO HIGH.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
boubou

If at 30% you are getting condensation with thermopane windows, first thing I would do is check your RH meter.

If it is correct, your windows may, indeed, be FUBAR.

Exactly what kind of windows, in what type of home construction, and where??????

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
boubou

In this context, I'd expect it has something to do with _humidity_.

Google will give you better answers for this than you could get anywhere else.

Reply to
Dave Hinz