[SOLVED] Window Film Removal

Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to help block the sunlight. It gradually faded out and has gotten scratched in several places. Today we started trying to take it off using a razor blade scraper -- it's slow and not too effective. Do any of you have any suggestions about an easier and faster way. Is there anything we get to wash it with? It feels sticky? Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

You might try a hair dryer and soften it a little and see if you can very carefully peel it up that way.

Reply to
SRN

Why does this sound like the same Dottie that had so much trouble with a weed whacker...

Heat the window film with a hair dryer like the first respondent advised and carefully scrape with the razor blade scraper...

Of course the windows are going to be sticky, how do you think the film stayed on ? Love ?

Use rubbing alcohol and some old cloths you are ready to throw away to clean off the adhesive residue...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I am doing this as we speak. The first window I just scraped with a razor blade, major pain. I bought some stuff at Advance Auto Parts in a blue spray bottle that you spray on, cover the window with a black plastic bag and let it cook for a day (I sprayed it again a few times). It is not a magic solution but it did seem to make the film easier to scrape off. I am trying the back window next. That one is tougher since it has a defroster on it and I don't want to scrape that off. My plan is to spray and cover, scrape away everything that is away from the defroster traces, spray and cover again and see if the rest comes off without too much scraping.

I will never buy a car with window film again.

Reply to
gfretwell

Peel it first...get under a corner and work it up until you can grip and pull it off. For the glue residue, lacquer thinner removes it easily. So do various citrus based cleaners and they don't evaporate as rapidly. Won't go *BOOM* either.

If for some reason you can't peel it, wet with water with some ammonia and let sit a while. The hair dryer thing should work too.

Reply to
dadiOH

The window film I have on my car is actually a sandwich of 2 layers. Peeling only gets the top layer. The layer against the glass doesn't seem to have the structural strength to peel..

Reply to
gfretwell

The rubbing alcohol worked better than Goof Off! We took a razor blade and alcohol and got it off....but it was a very thin layer. I think it had sort of deteriorated with the hot sun. Someone else told me that she hired some people to re-do hers -- and they used steel wool to take off the old stuff. Said it didn't hurt the glass at all ... when I start on the other window I may try that. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Dottie

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Rarely happens. BTW: Steel wool comes in several different grits so to say "steel wool" will not hurt glass is questionable.

What are you using to block sunlight now?

Reply to
JimT

That's what I thought. Always thought that was a no-no. So I looked and found this.

I'll still probably not use it. But mostly because I don't deal with glass a lot. I used to uses newspaper for the final pass on glass, but now I never have any around. I have scratched glass with razors. But that's from letting the angle get too high. Never scratches for me if I'm careful to keep the angle real low. It's one of those "must stay patient" deals.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I wasn't able to pull up. Crappy modem/router/dsl combo thing going over here. Need a new wireless router/modem.

I suspect any sw is going to produce scratches. You may not be able to see them. I clean my aquariums with a razor blade type scraper that works really well. Looks like this one

*
The one I have hasn't scratched yet. :-)

*

Reply to
JimT

This is the one I use:

Was in the paint dept at HD

Reply to
JimT

Did you know they have plastic razor blades? First I knew of them.

they can't scratch glass, but never tried them. Probably won't because I just don't have the need. But if was removing window film and really wanted safety against scratching the glass, I'd give them a try for kicks. They're cheap.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Guess they can't scratch glass, but never tried them.

I might have tried that awhile back but my scraper works really well.

Now I need a modem/router. Considerably more expensive. :(

Reply to
JimT

right next to the display where the window film is, is a spray bottle of the adhesive remover. it works better than most all other things.

Reply to
chaniarts

Use a spray bottle with ammonia in it and make sure you change the razor blade often. If you ever have to remove film again spray the glass with ammonia and place a black plastic trash bag on the glass while the sun is shining on the glass. IOW when the glass is hot. Leave the trash bag on for about 5 minutes and then the film will peel off. At least the top layer will. Then you can remove the rest with single edge razors (in a scarper) while spraying it with ammonia.

Reply to
Ron