Window exploded

I had Milgard windows installed 2 1/2 years ago. A few days ago one of the windows "exploded" for no apparant reason. Nothing hit the window and both inside and outside panes shattered.

Out side temp was about 40 degrees so it wasn't due to extreme cold.

Has this happended to anyone else on the group?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Avant

Birds hit mine alot. Check the frame instalation, maybe it was to tight with no flex-expansion room. Check plumb,level and square of frame install, maybe a bad install stressed it. maybe one side was forced in on instal its warped the frame.

Reply to
ransley

Birds hit mine alot. Check the frame instalation, maybe it was to tight with no flex-expansion room. Check plumb,level and square of frame install, maybe a bad install stressed it. maybe one side was forced in on instal its warped the frame.

Sounds like a bird inpact....Happens quite often though I haven't had one broken YET...LOL...Could also be kids playing with BB guns or a stray gunshot or as already stated , bad install....

Reply to
benick

A bird would likely break one pane not two.

Reply to
ransley

Sealed dual pane windows? They tend to do that. The process and add internal stress and just the right or wrong pressure can cause them to go. I just replaced one of mine about a month ago. It was the second and it was about 15 years old.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Yes it is/was a sealed dual pane type. I don't think it was an installation issue since the contractor had done several other homes in the local area. Sure wasn't a hit, bird or other, as the screen was undamaged and not too many birds are flying at 6am.

The contractor came out about mid day and said he had never seen this happen before. He called Milgard and I should have a replacement by Monday. Since Milgard didn't protest I guess it is one of those things that just happens.

Reply to
Harry Avant

Its installer issue, or you say he checked plumb, level , square, indent, of every window his installers did! Check it yourself or it might happen again.

Reply to
ransley

He must be new. :D

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

The glass (single pane) in one of my sliding doors spontaneously burst = one day - nothing impacted the glass and the temperature was ordinary. = This has also happened to a couple of my neighbors. The repair guy = indicated that it was probably due to a fault within the glass itself.

Reply to
Jean

Harry Avant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What did they say to that?

Reply to
Han

I don't understand your question but Milgard didn't bat an eye over putting in a free replacement.

Reply to
Harry Avant

Harry Avant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's what their plicy suggests. I am happy for you, but I am wondering why the product broke. To me exploding windows would be a big problem, and I am afraid that a good warrantee policy does not totally reassure me.

Reply to
Han

Exploded into tiny peices? If so, tempered glass and any stress could have triggered it

Reply to
clare