Window condensation / sweats

I can never remember if the indoor/outdoor air films are already counted in the R-value of the glass.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Your right I should use my reading glasses when I use a Psychometric Chart. At 37 degrees the glass temperature reaching dew point is more likely. Dry bulb wet bulb temps with my background were use to calculate superheat or subcool.

Reply to
jolt

Lol good advice, i sound like a parrot

Reply to
Abby Normal

Is the house on a slab, crawl space or basement? Does it have a humidifier?

Reply to
jolt

Likely the high rating you are seeing is for the glass and maybe for air sealing, but overall, those cheap frames sure reduce the real world efficiency.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I find that true to some extent. Maybe not a year, but in this case the owner has measured humidity at 30%. Of course it may not have been an accurate measure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Either the windows/frames are having problems, or your hygrometer (clock) is wrong.

I'd pick up another hygrometer to just to be sure.

Reply to
Noozer

The colder an environment, the more noticable the mositure of new construction. Ventilatiojn schems like an HRV will work overtime the first winter after new construction in a cold climate. The next winter they can over ventilate to the point people want to add humidifiers

Reply to
Abby Normal

Have you spoken to your neighbors as of yet?

Reply to
avid_hiker

Reply to
scottieyoon

Not yet, but the good news is that the problem is gone. Here is what I did.

I had my wife circulate the air by opening the back door for fresh air and put the fan "on" instead of "auto". By the time I got back from work, I had to clean up the water but I haven't seen the problem again for last few days. I also got two hygrometers, one analog and one digital, and they had ranged between 35% to 42% at given moment. Even with the wide range I think I was still at near "dry" condition.

I believe the main problem was the rapid drop in temperature in addition to new construction in first winter. I took the reading in bathroom when I took a shower and it was at 53% (highest). I ran the bathroom fan for about 30 minutes and it went down to 33%. I think I'm gonna use the fan during shower during winter.

Thanks guys.

Reply to
scottieyoon