Window Condensation Problem

I recenrtly added a bead of caulk sealant to all the gaps in my old casement windows to keep the cold air from coming in this winter. The side effect seems to be a great deal of condenstation on the inside of the windows, which has turned into an unpleasant combination of rust and mold. I can deal with the rust, but cannot abide the mold.

Aside from new insulated windows--which would be nice--are there any suggestions to reducing the condensation? Seriously, by morning they look like a glass of ice water on a hot day.

Thanks.

Dana

Reply to
Dana John Hill

Plastic window film or storm windows

Reply to
ransley

Your windows must have been really drafty if when you sealed the gaps they started fogging up. regardless, as Ransley suggests, making some plastic storm windows would be your best bet. If your casements are like my old ones, there wasn't any wood trim around them, just plaster right to the window with small 'stop molding' trim right at the metal. I built wood frames out of 1x2 and covered them with a good quality clear plastic sheeting (I got mine at a fabric store like JoAnns, not the flimsy drop cloth stuff the box stores sell for this.). I made the frames about 3/8" smaller than the opening, then stapled 3/4" felt weather-stripping around the outside. This provided a snug fit for the window, without damaging the wall finish. Worked wonders for the condensation and was pretty clear for viewing out the window (more so than the ice that formed without them!

Reply to
Mark

messagenews:uJidnUMfnbx3IvvanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

It's not clear to me exactly where the mositure is occuring. Do you have storm windows and it's occuring between the regular window and the storm window? Or do you mean it's occuring between the windows?

If you don't have storm windows, then I agree the logical step is to get them, which will also save energy.

You should also identify sources of added moisture in the house. Humidifier? Bathrooms with showers not vented?

Reply to
trader4