Window Cleaning - Steel Wool

Will using steel wool to remove the scum (acid rain?) on our windows damage them. If it is OK, which steel wool do you use?
steel wool will actually scratch the glass. I'd stick to regular glass cleaning tools. If you have a lot of mineral build-up from rain and such, the stuff thats sold to remove hard water build-up from tubs and bathrooms should work...
--JD

On 30 Aug 2004 12:52:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HugYourPug) wrote:

Steel wool is harder than glass, so it will scratch it. Try vinegar, ammonia, or CLR.
I've been using ultra-fine steel wool to clean the windows of my cars for many years. Trust me, it will not scratch. If you don't believe me, try it on a piece of scrap glass. Does a good job.

"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)
Zud a cleaner similar to comet contains oxilac acid and cleans old glass well. It is designed and advertised as a glass cleaner.

Don't trust him. Many cars have coated windshields that will scratch easily. Plain glass? Probably OK and I have used it. You won't see it anywhere close to a windshield though.