Window airconditioner won't cool at night.

My company has a small room where the computer network equipment is installed, and generates a lot of heat. We've installed a small GE window air conditioner in this room to cool things down. No model number on the front, not sure of the BTU output, but it's not likely oversized. I'll also add that this is a base model and doesn't have any fancy controls, just fan/cool speed and temperature warm - cold.
The unit works great during the day, but at night the compressor won't come on even though the room heats up to the mid 80's.
It seems there is an outdoor temperature sensor on this unit which assumes that if it cools off outside at night, then no cooling is required inside.
Has anyone run into this problem before, and what is the solution? Jumper wire around the sensor, relocate the sensor, any ideas?
Thanks, Christopher
have that same problem here in-between seasons opening a window of course, energizes the a/c compressor.

I haven't come across a Window A/C unit with an outside thermostat for controlling the compressor in my 30 years of A/C unless it is a heat pump. In which case the ODT (Outside Thermostat) is used for controlling / staging during the heat cycle.
Your window air conditioner problem is perplexing. I'd be interested in knowing how you know if the compressor is or is not running during the evening. I'm wondering if the evap. coil (in the front) is icing and prevent the air from flowing / cooling your computer network equipment. The only reason I'm suggesting that this may be your problem is I've seen this scenario in the past with computer network rooms being cooled by window air conditioners.
--
Zyp
"bumtracks" < snipped-for-privacy@usenet.bud> wrote in message
[...]
Ok Pop;
So show me which one of these Room Air Conditioners has an outside thermostat to shut the compressor off during low ambient temperatures?
http://www.roomair.carrier.com/wcs/category_search/0,1185,CLI1_DIV52_ETI2469,00.html
BTW: Carrier is the LARGEST MFG. of unitary and commercial air conditioning equipment in the world.

If you need to know why, it is generally because Room Air Conditioners use a Capillary for refrigerant control. In these cases, there must be a 100 psi difference between condensing and evaporation pressure in the system, otherwise icing will occur. During low ambient outside temperatures, the condensing section is too low, and the evap. freezes.
Computer / PBX system(s) have very low load requirements, and many companies use room air conditioners or ductless splits to accomplish the task. What's really necessary (which was suggested) is to use a split refrigeration system with a low ambient kit and thermal expansion valve. Here the outdoor condensing section will 'modulate' the condenser temperature to maintain a high enough value (100 psi difference) to allow the valve to feed the evaporator without freezing. A TXV will give better load control on the evaporator and only feed enough refrigerant to cool the load (heat).
Christopher's problem is the same problem many have in using an inexpensive solution to a problem. What I and many refrigeration engineers usually find funny is that folks will spend less than $1000 to protect equipment that costs tens of thousands.
As for your not knowing what A/C means, I sorry, but I've used that acronym to mean Air Conditioning for many years.
--
Zyp
"Pop" < snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net> wrote in message
You're absolutely correct! I didn't say anything about Carrier; YOU are the equipment that's low on refrigerant and minimal differential. Either read what you write or get smarter.
Plonk!
Pop
[...]
Christopher wrote:

How cool is it outside?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Seems to me like there should only be an inside temp. sensor (to determine whether the AC should be on or not), and it was mistakenly installed outside.
Hi Christopher, hope you are having a nice day
On 07-Oct-04 At About 21:47:40, Christopher wrote to All Subject: Window airconditioner won't cool at night.
C> From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Christopher)
C> My company has a small room where the computer network equipment is C> installed, and generates a lot of heat. We've installed a small GE C> window air conditioner in this room to cool things down. No model C> number on the front, not sure of the BTU output, but it's not likely C> oversized. I'll also add that this is a base model and doesn't C> have any fancy controls, just fan/cool speed and temperature C> warm - cold.
C> The unit works great during the day, but at night the compressor C> won't come on even though the room heats up to the mid 80's.
C> It seems there is an outdoor temperature sensor on this unit which C> assumes that if it cools off outside at night, then no cooling is C> required inside.
C> Has anyone run into this problem before, and what is the solution? C> Jumper wire around the sensor, relocate the sensor, any ideas?
The outdoor stat is there for a reason. window a/c's and central systems are not supposed to run in outdoor temps lower that 60 degrees. now, there are controls that can be installed to run a central system at lower temps but window units are not capable of using them due to their design. the best thing to do would be to get a mini split system which has the low outdoor ambient controls.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. I can't use Windows. My cat ate my mouse.