Window airconditioner won't cool at night.

My company has a small room where the computer network equipment is installed, and generates a lot of heat. We've installed a small GE window air conditioner in this room to cool things down. No model number on the front, not sure of the BTU output, but it's not likely oversized. I'll also add that this is a base model and doesn't have any fancy controls, just fan/cool speed and temperature warm - cold.

The unit works great during the day, but at night the compressor won't come on even though the room heats up to the mid 80's.

It seems there is an outdoor temperature sensor on this unit which assumes that if it cools off outside at night, then no cooling is required inside.

Has anyone run into this problem before, and what is the solution? Jumper wire around the sensor, relocate the sensor, any ideas?

Thanks, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher

have that same problem here in-between seasons opening a window of course, energizes the a/c compressor.

Reply to
bumtracks

How cool is it outside?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I haven't come across a Window A/C unit with an outside thermostat for controlling the compressor in my 30 years of A/C unless it is a heat pump. In which case the ODT (Outside Thermostat) is used for controlling / staging during the heat cycle.

Your window air conditioner problem is perplexing. I'd be interested in knowing how you know if the compressor is or is not running during the evening. I'm wondering if the evap. coil (in the front) is icing and prevent the air from flowing / cooling your computer network equipment. The only reason I'm suggesting that this may be your problem is I've seen this scenario in the past with computer network rooms being cooled by window air conditioners.

Reply to
Zypher

Seems to me like there should only be an inside temp. sensor (to determine whether the AC should be on or not), and it was mistakenly installed outside.

Reply to
m4rcone

| | Your window air conditioner problem is perplexing. ==> No, it is not. It's common. VERY common in fact. If the os temp gets too low, they are designed to not kick on the compressor. I do NOT know why, but MY 30 years of experience with many brands of less than one ton units guarantees it as a fact!

I'd be interested in | knowing how you know if the compressor is or is not running during the | evening. ==> Not relevant I'm wondering if the evap. coil (in the front) is icing and | prevent the air from flowing / cooling your computer network equipment. ==> If that was the case, the icing would be obvious the next morning - there woujld be a considerable lag for one thing, and evidence of water flow for another.

The | only reason I'm suggesting that this may be your problem is I've seen this | scenario in the past with computer network rooms being cooled by window air | conditioners. ==> Too bad you can't understand what the OP meant and go with that; mis-speaks are easy to make. I know what he meant: Why don't you?

Pop

| > > The unit works great during the day, but at night the compressor won't | > > come on even though the room heats up to the mid 80's. | > >

| > > It seems there is an outdoor temperature sensor on this unit which | > > assumes that if it cools off outside at night, then no cooling is | > > required inside. | > >

| > > Has anyone run into this problem before, and what is the solution? | > > Jumper wire around the sensor, relocate the sensor, any ideas? | > >

| > > Thanks, | > > Christopher | >

| |

Reply to
Pop

Ok Pop;

So show me which one of these Room Air Conditioners has an outside thermostat to shut the compressor off during low ambient temperatures?

BTW: Carrier is the LARGEST MFG. of unitary and commercial air conditioning equipment in the world.

with many brands of less than one ton units guarantees it as a fact! thermostat for

Reply to
Zypher

You're absolutely correct! I didn't say anything about Carrier; YOU are the equipment that's low on refrigerant and minimal differential. Either read what you write or get smarter.

Plonk!

Pop

| > I'd be interested in | > | knowing how you know if the compressor is or is not running | > during the | > | evening. | > ==> Not relevant | > I'm wondering if the evap. coil (in the front) is icing and | > | prevent the air from flowing / cooling your computer network | > equipment. | > ==> If that was the case, the icing would be obvious the next | > morning - there woujld be a considerable lag for one thing, and | > evidence of water flow for another. | >

| > The | > | only reason I'm suggesting that this may be your problem is | > I've seen this | > | scenario in the past with computer network rooms being cooled | > by window air | > | conditioners. | > ==> Too bad you can't understand what the OP meant and go with | > that; mis-speaks are easy to make. I know what he meant: Why | > don't you? | >

| > Pop | >

| |

Reply to
Pop

Hi Christopher, hope you are having a nice day

On 07-Oct-04 At About 21:47:40, Christopher wrote to All Subject: Window airconditioner won't cool at night.

C> From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Christopher)

C> My company has a small room where the computer network equipment is C> installed, and generates a lot of heat. We've installed a small GE C> window air conditioner in this room to cool things down. No model C> number on the front, not sure of the BTU output, but it's not likely C> oversized. I'll also add that this is a base model and doesn't C> have any fancy controls, just fan/cool speed and temperature C> warm - cold.

C> The unit works great during the day, but at night the compressor C> won't come on even though the room heats up to the mid 80's.

C> It seems there is an outdoor temperature sensor on this unit which C> assumes that if it cools off outside at night, then no cooling is C> required inside.

C> Has anyone run into this problem before, and what is the solution? C> Jumper wire around the sensor, relocate the sensor, any ideas?

The outdoor stat is there for a reason. window a/c's and central systems are not supposed to run in outdoor temps lower that 60 degrees. now, there are controls that can be installed to run a central system at lower temps but window units are not capable of using them due to their design. the best thing to do would be to get a mini split system which has the low outdoor ambient controls.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2