Window air leak

I have casement windows, the ones that open with a lever, are hinged on top and tilt outwards. Two frames have parted away from the wall and opened up a slit around 1/8 inch wide. Cold winter air is coming out of them. I had checked from the outside stucco wall and the stucco seems intact. Any force on them will most likely crack and shatter the stucco. That is I won't be able to use a rubber mallet to knock back the frame into place. From the inside the wood trim is right against the wall too and doesn't seem to have any room for me to make any adjustments. I hate to take out the trim to check in case that's not the solution. Any suggestion how I should attack the problem? I am pretty handy when it comes to tools and fixes.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

pARTED away in what direction?

At what side(s) are the frames still attached?

??

Which direction?

If you just want to put the frame back where it was, how is the frame going to hit the stucco?

How much space between the frame and the stucco at the part of the fram farthest away from where it should be? How about the middle of the window that is only half as far away?

From the inside the wood trim is

Reply to
mm

The window dimensions are 5 ft wide x 3 ft high. The left hand half is fixed double glazed glass. The the RH half is openable. This window is installed as a factory manufactured unit from the outside. The outside wall studs are 6 inch. Therefore the inside of the window (sized for standard 4 inch wall studs) needs a 2 inch wood strip to make up the rest of the wall thickness. The parting is between the manufactured window frame and this make-up wood strip, just on the horizontal strip, the other partings being narrower until there is no parting on the upper horizontal strip.

I cannot use a mallet from the outside to pound in the window frame as the stucco looks firmly attached to the outside window frame. The stucco had been trowelled right up to the window.

After describing the problem I think I will remove the trim from the room side and see what I can do. Else I'll just insert in more fiberglass insulation to fill up the gap and put on a thin veneer strip over bhe old trim and make everything look good.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Take off the trim on the inside and fill the gaps with a latex foam like the one DAP makes. Check for air leaks after it sets and then reinstall trim. Look for tips on trim removal at sites like 'This Old House' (Use Google). HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Got photos you can share?