window air condioner

I just installed a window air conditioner which was smaller in size than the window. It was installed through a double hung with storm windows as well. My problem is on the outside. I have about 1 1/2" x 15" exposed areas on either side of the storm window frame and a/c. I installed foam insulation to fill the gaps between the a/c and d/h window frame, but it's exposed to the outside elements. I need a suggestion on how to cover/seal this from the elements: rain, snow, etc. I am afraid rain will enter the window where I installed the foam insulation filler. Thanks.
I just installed a window air conditioner which was smaller in size than the window. It was installed through a double hung with storm windows as well. My problem is on the outside. I have about 1 1/2" x 15" exposed areas on either side of the storm window frame and a/c. I installed foam insulation to fill the gaps between the a/c and d/h window frame, but it's exposed to the outside elements. I need a suggestion on how to cover/seal this from the elements: rain, snow, etc. I am afraid rain will enter the window where I installed the foam insulation filler. Thanks.
ursamz wrote:

In our case, we removed the glass, replaced it with 3/8" painted plywood, and screwed same to the window frame. In your case, a wooden frame should work.

actual thick aluminum foil on a roll, with an adhesive back. It'll easily last through the a/c season, and probably a couple of years if you don't bother to pull it come winter. Great stuff, I use it for all sorts of Q'n'D hole plugging like that. Probably paintable, if the patched aircraft look bothers you. You will need to degrease whatever it will be stuck to- a wipedown with alky or liquid sandpaper should do.
aem sends....