Window AC/heating units? ? ?

I live in an old apartment building where the steam-heating system is erratic, and I'd like to have a reliable supplementary heat source. Those 1500 watt space heaters don't quite do the trick
I have heard that combination air conditioning and heating units are available. I have 220 wiring in my apartment.
Would like to hear from anyone who has had experience with such equipment.
What about the cost of operating?
Thanks Mike

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:25:51 GMT, "Ray"

The heat pumps are expensive but much more economical than heat strips or electric baseboard, wall or space heaters.
Complaining to the landlord is much cheaper.