Window A/C unit - drill holes in water pan ?

Some of the high efficiency units hold water in the pan and splash it up on the condenser coil to aid cooling. You just need to be sure it is tilted down so the water gets to the outboard end.
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 20:58:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You're right. Thanks for the correction. It's been a long while since I've dealt with a room AC. (Actually I knew only one -- I'd park almost underneath the AC -- but my friend quit her job there.)

Right, Just like the instructions said, but people don't always read or remember that stuff.
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 15:44:01 +0000, Misplacedhippie

Right, but pitching the AC properly will stop the drips. You don't need a lot of pitch.
NEVER drill a hole. I've seen many an AC turned to junk in seconds that way. People think they know better but end up poking a hole in the coil.
On 6/7/2015 2:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Drain holes, and mounting screws can be instant death to AC units.
On 6/8/2015 7:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I know someone that destroyed two in two days. Yeah, I can do this, just watch.
On 6/8/2015 10:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hold my beer moment?
The fans have 'sling rings' on them to sling the condensate water on to the condenser coil. This does 2 functions: 1) it helps cool the condenser somewhat and 2) helps to prevent water dripping on something outside the house.
Do what you want to the unit. Turtle makes some good suggestions, as do others.

actually
rugs
it
minimal

No but you will reduce it cooling ability which will increase energy consumption and you could possibly hit a refrigerant line requiring expensive repairs.

When you tip it, try also tipping it diagonally. The amount of water which will be able to remain in just corner of the cabinet base should be minimal. Also, you could tip it then put it back in place for another week (without using it - except on fan) and the remaining moisture may have a chance to evaporator or congeal to where it's not so fluid to leak.
As an alternative, you could always put a drop cloth or newspapers down, or even a large bucket you can drain the leftovers in to when inside the room.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=air+conditioner
=~~~~~~
replying to Mark, otis wrote:

:] My issue is with the annoying noise made by the fan slinging water all night. I can't sleep with all that nonsense going on. I drilled a hole and the problem went away. Who cares about a little less efficiency or some nominal shortening of the unit's life?? I'd rather sleep. If you flip over the unit you will see a depression under the fan housing where the water is intended to accumulate. That is where you want to drill. The only thing you can hit is the plastic fan blade. It should just bump out of the way. No risk.