Window A/C installation query... (2023 Update)

Can anybody offer tips on installing a window air conditioner made for a double hung window into a slider/casement window? I bought the unit intending to, either put it through the wall, or by installing second window in the room of the double-hung type... But I can't get to either of these scenarios for a few months as I have other projects and priorities to tend to first. Yet, the weather is very hot right now and I'm tempted to 'rig up' at least temporary installation of my A/C using the window presently available. I'm not concerned about how it looks or even about window security (there's always someone home, even if it's just the pet Rottweiler...). But the said window being on the second floor of my house, it is SAFETY (for both, people as well as my A/C unit) that is my overriding concern here. Therefore I'm inviting input from others here on this before finalizing in my mind what method and/or materials, parts, etc. to follow/use in going about this.

Thanx in advance, Ken

Reply to
kmoiarty35

Is the window wide enough for the unit to sit in normal position? If so, put it in place and then block the top portion with a sheet of plywood or hardboard.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, the window is wide enough for the unit to sit in normal position. And yes, I already expected to block the top with plywood. What I am wondering about is how to best go about _securing_ the unit so it cannot succumb to the force of gravity (which is actually "torque" in this instance, since this is a rather weighty piece of equipment to have protruding almost completely to one side of it's pivot line, the window sill). How about making and attaching a bracket of some kind to the bottom of the unit, shaped such that it will fit into the 'groove' of the window frame, thus providing locking support at the base of the unit? And if so, are there no such items (or kits) on the market ready made for use in slider/casement windows for just this purpose? And how might I achieve the same at the top of the unit (where it will meet the plyboard)? [Note, I'm asking these questions not because I'm not creative enough to develop my own answers to them, but because I'm looking for the simplest to install and later uninstall (whilst being safe); given that this is to be only a _temporary_ setup.] Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

I don't know of any kits to do that. You can probably put a piece of angle iron or perhaps a 1 x 3 across the top as a stop held by the bracket on the AC.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Buy a new window and have it installed. Takes a day or two.

Reply to
Me

Ken Moiarty posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Hehehehe, just too much material here to work with...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Tie a rope around the m*********er and tie the other end to something heavy, like your piano.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

In my newsgroup travels, I've often seen comments warning others, before posting to alt.hvac, to expect a lot of "rude" responses. Presumably this is because alt.hvac is really for trade professionals or 'intelligentsia'.

'nough said... <SNORT>

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

Guess I wasn't clear. Buying and installing (for myself) a new window and installing the A/C unit in it is one of my two alternate intentions. But I can't get around to doing this for a about month or two due to, both, financial and time constraints. Having the window vendor save my time by providing for the installation (of the window) is something I hadn't considered. If I can convince someone else that buying the window ($250 CAD at Home Depot) earlier than planned is worth dipping into our joint-savings account for, I'll definitely look into having it installed by the vendor. Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty