Windmill go boom

Page 3 of 4

I thought about that too.
How does Funniest Home Videos have all those pictures of people doing nothing special and then falling down?

So iirc about 10 minutes to dl with dial-up. But watching it won't answer these questions.

The answer is simple. It was a failuire of the governor. Resulted in overspeed. One blade failed due to exceeding stress limit. Unbalance caused remainder of problem. The governor failure was mentioned somewhere in one of the shows.
No need to go into any "conspiracy theories" simple engineering explanations cover it.
Harry K

That sumbitch got awl toe up didn't it?!

Probably a HF coupon item.
my best friend built a 14 foot windmill in 1960.
one day the brakes failed and he had a bad day. told him about this video tonight, unfortunately he does not have internet access
Three windmills for $9.99 with valuable coupon!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Most interesting, as we have had 230-odd Vestas turbines in operation here in McLean County, Illinois for about three years. Several hundred more turbines are scheduled for building in the next few years here and in nearby counties. I noted propeller blade replacement being done on one recently. Occasionally, a unit will be stopped for some maintenance while all the surrounding ones keep ponderously rotating, making volts and amps for Ransley up there in Chicago. I haven't seen any bird kill problems, but there have been reports of a few bat kills. At night, seeing acres and acres of winking red warning lights impresses visitors. Kind of neat. The farmers like having the lease income from the operation, and the construction crews were and are absolute models of efficiency and care for the terrain. Not much in the way of downsides.
Joe
Joe wrote:

They were supposed to build a fairly large windfarm here in one of the few places where it would make sense. There is a high end development located around 5 miles from there. A few influential people were very vocal about how it would destroy their "view" so they had the zoning regulations changed to prevent windmills without explicitly preventing them. The interesting part too is the windfarm was being built with private money not with money the government picked out of our pockets.
George wrote:

NIMBY strilkes again. Stuff like that is one of the reasons they are now talking about building them offshore, in areas with both wind, and out of view of tourist beachs and rich folk cliffs. Oh yeah, that'll make them cheaper and more resistant to weather.
-- aem sends...

Nimby is being rammed up the rear of the only two complainers in this county. Lacking any other reasonable argument (they tried all of them and got shot down by science) they are using "low frequency sound" as their objection now. County dads just _reduced_ the setbacks and distance between towers in the local zoning. They had it at 5 times tower height until it was pointedout that was far stricter than anyplace else in the state.
Is there a problem with "low freuency noise" or it is just another hoggoblin teh nimbys dreamed up?
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

It disrupts the feeding habits of the Three Legged Jumping Snail and causes pet Pot Belly Pigs to stop that cute little snorting sound they make which the pet owners find so adorable.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/accoustic.htm
Bob F wrote:

There have been some very interesting programs on about the development of acoustic weapons. It was on The Military channel if I remember correctly. Back when I was a damn hippie freak, attending loud concerts, I had some bone rattling experiences from the large acoustic transducers in front of the stage. It's funny how our military uses that same music to torture man caused disaster suspects. *snicker*
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

They were doing it to hippies back then, too.

Yup! Parabolic speakers.

"Application: Commercial application for parabolic speaker system are listed as spaces like Airports, Shopping Malls and stadiums. They are also used in by the police in situation like crowd control, hostage crisis, anywhere where long throw intelligable audio is required."
HeyBub wrote:

So you saw "A Clockwork Orange" too.
TDD
George wrote:

I do seem to remember the late Senator Kennedy objecting to some whirly- gigs because it would destroy the view.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Did you marry the girl who just can't say 'Nuu.. Nuuu, Nuuu!!!, Nuuu..."?
HeyBub wrote:

I wish I could find one I could just stand to be around. They all remind me of my mother, who is completely bonkers! These days it's illegal to slap them upside the head in a vain attempt to reboot their brain. *snicker*
TDD
I haven't seen any bird kill problems, but there have been reports of a few bat kills.
Would that be because the birds learned to avoid them, or all the birds were dead?
Steve