Windmill go boom

Page 1 of 4

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ÃFZtmlHwcA
✖
On 11/14/2009 11:26 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha know), but I'm assuming that's a windmill for electric generation, right? The newer ones are bigger and better, which would no doubt make a much bigger "boom" should they fall over. Much better for the birds, though, as they operate at lower speeds.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

One comment says a goose hit it, but it looks like all three blades broke at once. I put my cursor just before it happened and watched several times. There is no way to watch in slo-mo afaik??
And how did a goose breaking a blade bread the whole mast?

It's a pain but if a video is important, with youtube and most of them, you can still watch. Start it playing and right away press pause**. Then depending on how long it is, go to another window and leave it alone for 10, 20 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and the red bar or some other indicator will show how much as been dl'd. When all or enough has, click play and it will play what has been dl'd. It stores the file on the harddrive as a temp file. The temp file will be no larger because you have dial-up and it takes a long time than it would be with highspeed, so if you have temp space on your harddrive, that's not a problem. Good playback has something to do with CPU speed. Mine is 800 but I did fine with 200. And you probably have to have a video card with sufficient RAM, but I think everyone does, and NIB, new but prior models of cards are available cheaply. Even new mdoels unless they have special features aren't more than 30 dollars iirc. **You don't even have to press pause, but then you'll hear snatches of sound when it has enough new stuff to play a bit. And you'll have to move the progress ball back to the beginning to see it in one piece.
Even with lo-speed dsl, even though the download indicator was always ahead of amount-played ball, this one didn't show video for me until 5 or 10 seconds in, but on Replay that they offer at the end, it showed video from the start, and the windmill blades spun more realistically, instead of like watching under a strobe light.
I think that's because downloading and storing on the harddrive takes CPU cycles, that compete with playing. When replaying, the computer might have nothing else to do but play the video.

Add pictures here
✖
On 11/14/2009 12:04 PM mm spake thus:

Yeah, yeah, know all about those tricks. Just not worth it.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
✖

...not worth it to view something I posted....?!
You wound me, sir!
✖
On 11/14/2009 12:45 PM RicodJour spake thus:

I am deeply sorry, and meant to throw no disparaging words your way. The first chance I get on a high-speed connection (or a big block of spare time with the computah dialed up), I'll look at that video.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
✖

You have a laptop? If so, can't find an open connection?
Desktop such as I? Borrow a wireless USB adapter. If you find an open connection then buy an adapter of your own.
Then again, maybe you're in a thinly populated area.
Add pictures here
✖
Red Green wrote:

cable feed. Not at all like using a coffee shop hotspot at $1.50 a cup. -- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

Rico-
I thought it was worth watching. :)
I have cable.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote: ...

Like another, w/ dialup I don't even try video, but if it were the initiating event one would presume it would be the resulting imbalanced load caused the other failures.
Until the operating utility/vendor has/have done detailed analysis it's probably premature to project what was the root cause.
✖

Well it was interesting, since all the blades seemed to break and fly off at once, within a second or two. I would have expected some flexing rather than breaking in the second or two. The mast, you know about two or three feet by one foot, with rounded sides, broke off a little over half way up.

I wasn't there either, so I can only guess.
Add pictures here
✖

They need to shoot more geese?!
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote:

One of the blades hit the mast as it broke.
Add pictures here
✖
David Nebenzahl wrote: ...

Not really; while they look like they're just spinning pretty lazily, given the rotor length the tip speed is roughly 200 mph.

✖
On 11/14/2009 12:21 PM dpb spake thus:

Well, supposedly they kill fewer birds.
Apparently birds do learn to avoid windmill blades to some extent. Was a report on the local teevee news a night or two ago about all the bird kills at the large windmill "farm" out here in eastern Alameda County (SF Bay area), where lots of older windmills have resulted in waaaay too many bird kills.
Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis. Anyone ever seen those?
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
✖
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:05:53 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Actually the birds die from fright. One of those "ooh shit" moments.

In Alameda County you still have dial up?
What's the world coming too.
Add pictures here
✖

Not in person, but I think they're only used for fairly small installations near ground level, where space or height or aesthetic considerations rule out one of the larger and (I'm guessing) more efficient propeller-style units.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/14/2009 3:22 PM Neill Massello spake thus:

Here's a whole page of vertical-axis wind turbines: http://www.wind-works.org/photos/PhotosVAWTs.html
(Most are from the late 70s-early 80s.)
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
✖
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:05:53 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Only in pictures. I think they're the work of the devil.
Add pictures here
✖