Windex kills ants but leaves my walls blue (better idea?)

Page 1 of 3
I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.
Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?
What percentage of ammonia would you use? Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?
Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:10:05 -0700, Susan wrote:

Windex isn't ammonia you idiot. It's alcohol! http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/windex_glass_cleaner_blue.htm
And alcohol has no effect on the ant species. Use bleach instead.
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:21:38 -0700, David Remley

Forget all of these nonsense quack cures. Go to any hardware store and get some TERRO. It will get rid of ALL the ants, not just the ones you happen to see.

Yup. Terro is it. It used to just come in a bottle and you had to apply it to cardboard or those plastic ant traps that don't work. Now you can get it in little plastic containers that you snip a hole in the bottom so the ants can get in. They go in, sup of the poison, then take it back to kill off the colony. I put some containers out in April and I've watched at least 5 different colonies get wiped out. Tiny red ones, and 4 sizes of black ones. One container was completely full of giant black ants one morning. I only noticed it because the container was actually moving, due to all the ants inside. They emptied that container in 2 days, which is VERY fast. I never saw them again.

The little 1 ounce bottle is still available. I just posted a link to it in this thread. You don't actually have to put it ON anything. I just put a drop here and there directly on the floor along baseboards where they migrate. It doesn't seem to hurt the floor. It's not toxic to pets or babies, so it doesn't really need the containers.
h wrote:

Back then the active ingredient in Terro was arsenic.
Now you can get it

Nowdays the active ingredient is boric acid. Still kills ants pretty well, but it's a lot less hazardous to have around the house than the arsenic was.
HellT
David Remley wrote:

While alcohol is its primary active ingredient, it does contain a small amount of ammonia (unless you get the vinegar version). Note the reference to having a slight ammonia odor. Its label also states "with Ammonia-D" - an SC Johnson trade name for some type of aqueous ammonia compound..

There is some ammonia in Windex and similar products, which is why it kills ants, but it is cheaper/better to just spray an ammonia solution. It is interesting that ammonia is not listed in the materials safety datasheet you reference, but it is definitely there.
Ammonia solution is the best way I have found to kill ants interior to a residence, since it not only kills them on contact but neutralizes the formic acid they leave on their trails for other ants to follow.
For ants external to a residence, I like Grant's ant stakes.
Steve
David Remley wrote:

Yeah, bleach is a GREAT thing to get on the carpets.
on 7/16/2008 7:33 PM Harlan Messinger said the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It would still oxidize and ruin the carpet.
I love how some of you guys take these troll questions seriously.. Personally, I'd use a hammer. It kills the ants dead and doesn't change the color of the walls . It only leaves holes in them..But everything matches..
replying to David Remley, holt 101 wrote:

windex is ammonia-d. Look it up.
Susan wrote:

It doesn't at my house.

Terro bait stations work wonders, but are expensive. Ortho Home Defense spray is excellent -- water-based, odorless.
--
Cheers,
Bev

Expensive?
http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=liquid_ant_killer
That's enough to keep your house ant free for many, many years.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I've only seen it in little trays that look kind of like cheez-n-crackers packs for maybe a buck each. I tried mixing borax with corn syrup, but it didn't work. Little bastards clearly know the difference.
For instant gratification, you can't beat Home Defense. Well, you can, but Raid stinks.
--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Many of the small ants aren't looking for sugar, they want fats. Try mixing boric acid into some melted chicken fat, then let it solidify.
Too much boric acid is gritty to the ants, and they'll avoid it.
I filled a small container lid with that mixture, and the ants were ten deep trying to get to it. They worked for 3 days and left it totally clean. They didn't come back.
--Gene
Gene S. Berkowitz wrote:

Syrup, grease and boric acid oughta get 'em all, then. All I have is butter and various vegetable oils. I think the butter would do best.
--
Cheers,
Bev
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 03:17:52 GMT, Gene S. Berkowitz wrote:

Idiots all!
Whilst some ants aim for protein, like dried semen stains the bedsheets, others prefer sweet things, like sugar crumbs under the table. Still others go for live insects, still wriggling, and some go for dead insects, dried up and crunchy.
However, the Argentine ants here in California are omnivorous - they'll eat just about anything. And, as I said, they're tough to kill 'cuz they have multiple queens and they can go to any nest, unlike other ants.
Hence they wipe out the indigenous ant population. Says so right here: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow/stories/2005/1401834.htm

No, you are the blooming idiot who thinks we care about your precious "special ants". Idiots also think they can disprove a general rule with a small anomally exception.
If those Argentine ants are lurred into taking the Terro, they will carry it back to all of those nests and be quite effective. If they'll eat "anything", then they will certainly chow down on Terro.