Wind powered car

Page 4 of 5
Harry K wrote:

I think fan usage is getting turned around. Some seem to be talking about a driven fan used to drive cooling air through the radiator and others are talking about a fan being driven by air to drive a generator.
Regardless both fans take energy from the engine.
As a kid I had this idea of making an electric driven car and putting generators on the wheels to create the electricity. Then that spoil sport, Issac Newton went and ruined the whole idea!!
Rich256 wrote:

I think you are misunderstanding. I haven't seen anything about the fan driving air through the radiator, only that positioning a fan there would block air from flowing through the radiator (to some extent).
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Yeah, I just got a bit confused at the arguments. Using fans there in comparison to one on the roof.
Anyway, the point is that if air movement is used to generate electricity, no matter where the fan is, under the hood or on top, it will require additional energy from some source. That would be whatever is used to power the vehicle. The the energy would be in proportion to the amount of electricity generated.
Ol' Newton again requiring all energy in the system be constant.
You're too full of yourself (****, iow) to see humor, Harry... Besides.. The guy asked about powering an 'electric car,' did he not?.....

BD wrote:

Hardly "full of myself" Just correcting some very confused understandings of the laws of thermo and physics.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

this is what the generator/alternator is for...
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in news:kbaq12pqdsp8uaol6rsg6tc24aa70i26al@ 4ax.com:

No
Which is why you should immediately look for the fatal flaw in the concept.

Adding a windmill to a car will *dramatically* increase the air resistance, which will require that much more electrical power to drive the car. Since a windmill is (much) less than 100% efficient at extracting energy from the wind, you will never gain as much power as you have lost.
Better idea -- put a sail on your car, and learn to drive at speeds slower than the prevailing wind. Of course, tacking on public roads could lead to some interesting conversations with the patrol officer :-)
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Instead of a windmill how about a RAT (ram air turbine) Military aircraft have used these for years. Perhaps one could be engineered to provide charging while the car is in motion.
Ideally a 100% offset. But a cost effective extension of range would still be a worthy consideration.
Jim wrote:

Nope. One word DRAG
Harry K
It's like the question I came up with when a pre-teen many yrs ago.. "Why don't they just hook up a generator on a wheel and drag it behind the electric car to keep it charged, daddy?"...

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Yes, don't give up your day job...
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I too have thought of the feasibility of utilizing the forward motion of a vehicle to generate electrical energy via the flow of air through a turbine.

How about hooking the generator to your rear wheels? Then power the front wheels with electric! We'll beat those oil companies yet.
actually some vehicles to regernative braking, slowing engages a fly wheel that spins up, rather than braking by using calipers and pads, whoase waste energy is heat/
the feds had a dumb idea, put windmills along roads, cars passing by would make the mills spin generating power.
which unfortunately would slow the vehicles, and be a hazard.
the idea died before they spent a gazillion dollars trying it out

Personally I wanna set up a windmill right next to the highway to recover the wind-energy of all those passing trucks....
That sounds pretty good, much better than my idea of mounting a solar powered fan inside the car and pointing it at the windshield to provide extra forward thrust.

You've been looking at old Mazdas, haven't you? They had a solar powered fan in some cars to cool the interior on hot days.
Dean
-
"Dean" wrote:

I didn't know that, I just assumed that the lack of forward motion while using my lungs to blow against the windshield was simply evidence that I didn't have enough air volume so the fan was the next logical step.

You're supposed to be able to get to the moon, if you have a big electromagnet and a steel helmet.
Hot air would work best. You can get an endless supply by downloading it from some of the experts in this group.