Wind powered car

With or without the rest of the phone there?

Remember, "on hook" (or for that matter output shorted on the generator) is highest load.

People are still looking into it because there are some curious results being seen, but nobody's saying much because it's still considered "crank science".

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Unbelievable folks, but there you have it, another example of believing crap that violates physics. I suppose you think that a power plant will burn the most fuel when there is no load too right? If it worked that way, all we would have to do is keep adding more electric demand and eventually I guess the energy would be free.

Did you ever stand around a gas powered arc welder and listen to what happens when the welder strikes the rod to the metal.. The AMP meter goes BOING and the engine goes VROOM! Following your logic, it would work just the opposite and the engine would be generating the most noise and horsepower with no electric load.

And the reason for this is very straightforward and easy to understand. Take a magnets and try to push the north pole against the north pole of another magnet. It takes force to do it. Now try pushing that same magnet against a piece of wood. No force is required. In the generator you have a big coil that is the ouptput field winding and which is an electromagnet. With no load, there is no current flow, hence no magnetic field. As the current increases, the magnetic field increase, which now presents increasing mechanical resistance to the turning shaft and hence more force is required to turn it.

Reply to
trader4

That sounds pretty good, much better than my idea of mounting a solar powered fan inside the car and pointing it at the windshield to provide extra forward thrust.

Reply to
louie

You've been looking at old Mazdas, haven't you? They had a solar powered fan in some cars to cool the interior on hot days.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I didn't know that, I just assumed that the lack of forward motion while using my lungs to blow against the windshield was simply evidence that I didn't have enough air volume so the fan was the next logical step.

Reply to
louie

He wanted to see how many idiots would respond to a manifestly dumb-ass post?

Reply to
Goedjn

Personally I wanna set up a windmill right next to the highway to recover the wind-energy of all those passing trucks....

Reply to
Goedjn

Who is that?

Reply to
maradcliff

This guy:

Dean Hoffman

Hot air would work best. You can get an endless supply by downloading it from some of the experts in this group.

Reply to
Marty

Be careful though in case someone offers and wants to use post holes for the shipping containers. Last I heard those darn things are a bear to get rid of if you don't need them.

Reply to
Doug Chadduck

I have to disagree Harry....the front end of the car already blocks quite a bit of air. With fans behind the grill it would not add apprecialby to wind resistance but putting fans on the roof of the vehicle would add considerably to wind resistance... Perhaps you misunderstood my post....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

You're supposed to be able to get to the moon, if you have a big electromagnet and a steel helmet.

Reply to
hah

If the fans "would not add apprecialby to wind resistance", then they would also not add appreciably to power generation. The two are inextricably linked. You can't get power for free. No matter how you place the fans, the power generated would always be less than the power they suck up in terms of reduced gas mileage. TANSTAAFL.

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly E Jones

Can't you just bury them in your back yard?

Reply to
Neill Massello

I forget what the problem was, never had to deal with them myself. Something like trying to bury tires or big rocks IIRC. I'm sure someone will come up with the right answer.

Reply to
Doug Chadduck

No, I didn't misunderstand it. There has to be air flowing through the radiator. Block that and you get a. A very hot engine (not a part of this discussion) b. Drag.

That air then exits the engine compartment beneath the car. If there were no flow, then your fans wouldn't work anyhow.

Think about this: Why not put a small turbine in the exaust coupled to a generator? Would that work? Ans: No.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

**ANY** energy that you would generate by wind on a vehicle would cost 100% plus the inneficiencies of the devices used, no matter WHERE in the stream it's placed. There is NO free lunch. Energy generation = drag.
Reply to
Noozer

Why use a wind generator? Put a generator on the front wheels and an electric motor on the back wheels. Put two generators on the front wheels and you will go twice as fast. Just make sure all the parts are bolted on real good so that nothing is dragging to slow you down. :) :)

Reply to
L d'Bonnie

Only if you turn half of them inside out. Otherwise, you get a well. Or I suppose you could line them up one layer deep and make a wading pool.

Reply to
Goedjn