snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

This guy: http://tinyurl.com/f6oxb
-
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:05:29 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com

You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking such garbage. I could understand perhaps a 6 year old being so ignorant; what's your excuse?

He wanted to see how many idiots would respond to a manifestly dumb-ass post?
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Just stop and think about it for a moment.
Running on electric only would be impossible as the windmill would generate less energy that is required to move the car. Basic physics - you cannot get more energy out of a system than you put in, in fact you can't even break even, there is always a loss.
Running on gas would cause a decrease in gas mileage that would exceed whatever gain in electric you got during that period.
In summary it comes down to the old TANSTAAFL.
There is no such thing as "free energy".
Harry K
a buddy with a 14 foot blade windmill says they at most get 22% of the eind energy passing thru the blades.
thus this would be a big loser.
let alone hauling around all the weight, ouch.
there are solutions to our politician created enery crisis.
things like biomass, to create ethyl alcohol.
big oil didnt like that...

22% is less than I thought, but it doesn't matter. If you want to go 60 mph, just go 300 and then you'll have more than enough energy to go 60.

a buddy with a 14 foot blade windmill says they at most get 22% of the eind energy passing thru the blades.
thus this would be a big loser.
let alone hauling around all the weight, ouch.
there are solutions to our politician created enery crisis.
things like biomass, to create ethyl alcohol.
big oil didnt like that...
a buddy with a 14 foot blade windmill says they at most get 22% of the eind energy passing thru the blades.
thus this would be a big loser.
let alone hauling around all the weight, ouch.
there are solutions to our politician created enery crisis.
things like biomass, to create ethyl alcohol.
big oil didnt like that...
Andy replies:
Well, the car could sit still while the windmill was charging the battery. Then in a couple of days the battery would be charged, and the windmill could be "feathered" and the charge in the battery used to propel the car in any direction he wanted to go. Now THAT approach would work. But I don't think it's what the fellow has in mind......
Andy

Before you get too ambitious, calculate the energy that you could reasonably get from a wind generator while parked and then compare that to the energy that a typical car requires.
A local politician around here were talking about switching everyone to electric cars. I did the calculations to show that they would have to at least double the total generated electric power on the grid to recharge the cars. Given the annual brownouts, it ain't likely that this same politicians will spring for all the new nukes required. Electric bicycles would be possible...
Mike

Did you take any physics classes in high school or college?
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:43:17 GMT, "FDR"

Man, this gives me an idea for a great airplane. If I could just use a giant bungee to get it in the air, then use the wind to spin a propeller up front that is hooked to a propeller out back that will push me through the air...
Ruben Goldberg II

Ross Mac wrote:

<snip> .....Ross
Nope. The drag effect would be the same as hanging the fans out in the slipstream. You would in effect be blocking off the normal air flow.
Harry K

I have to disagree Harry....the front end of the car already blocks quite a bit of air. With fans behind the grill it would not add apprecialby to wind resistance but putting fans on the roof of the vehicle would add considerably to wind resistance... Perhaps you misunderstood my post....Ross

If the fans "would not add apprecialby to wind resistance", then they would also not add appreciably to power generation. The two are inextricably linked. You can't get power for free. No matter how you place the fans, the power generated would always be less than the power they suck up in terms of reduced gas mileage. TANSTAAFL.
Kelly
Ross Mac wrote:

No, I didn't misunderstand it. There has to be air flowing through the radiator. Block that and you get a. A very hot engine (not a part of this discussion) b. Drag.
That air then exits the engine compartment beneath the car. If there were no flow, then your fans wouldn't work anyhow.
Think about this: Why not put a small turbine in the exaust coupled to a generator? Would that work? Ans: No.
Harry K