Wind powered car

Page 1 of 5
Does this make sense???? Make a car with a windmill on top, which turns a generator or alternator, which charges the batteries to run an electric car.
Ok, I am pretty good at putting things together, but I am no scientist. I know that there is no such thing as free energy, and this appears to be one of those concepts. Yet, when the car was moving, the windmill would spin, and thus charge the batteries..
But, would the windmill slow the car down so much that the batteries would drain whatever was being created by the windmill? Would it be possible to even have a windmill large enough on a car? Yes, I have considered all the possibilities that the windmill must be low enough to pass under bridges and wires. Actually a horizontal blade setup seems to make more sense, but that limits it to the size of the car roof..
Anyone have any thoughts in this matter?
I'm just doing some thinking about this.....
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

It might work if you could deploy it when the car was parked and if you lived in a windy area, but you would need to not use it when driving as it would be a net negative energy user. The energy generated would equal the energy it consumed (wind resistance) less inefficiencies in the generation process.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Hi Joseph - You certainly have the right intentions - trying for a natural energy source - but I agree entirely with the previous post - you'd be needing to 'push' in order to get a 'push' so to speak. - Wes/MO
Try it let us know, and send a photo, no send alot of photos.
Reminds me of a couple of guys I had an argument with years ago in high school. They insisted it took the same force to turn a generator that had a load on it as it did to turn one with no load. There's no free lunch. The energy it takes to turn that windmill as the car is driving down the road is coming from the car motor.
BTW, anybody here any more about cold fusion? I remember the 2 scientists claimed it worked, then others tried to duplicate their work and shot it all down. But then I recall later some researchers did find evidence that something no one could explain was going on.
Yea but I just want a Photo.
On 19 Mar 2006 04:57:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It takes more force to turn a generator with no load. Much easier when there is a load.
Not theory. Real experience with generators from origianal crank phones. Try it.

I haven't heard anything since they stopped being in the news.

With or without the rest of the phone there?
Remember, "on hook" (or for that matter output shorted on the generator) is highest load.

People are still looking into it because there are some curious results being seen, but nobody's saying much because it's still considered "crank science".
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
mm wrote:

Unbelievable folks, but there you have it, another example of believing crap that violates physics. I suppose you think that a power plant will burn the most fuel when there is no load too right? If it worked that way, all we would have to do is keep adding more electric demand and eventually I guess the energy would be free.
Did you ever stand around a gas powered arc welder and listen to what happens when the welder strikes the rod to the metal.. The AMP meter goes BOING and the engine goes VROOM! Following your logic, it would work just the opposite and the engine would be generating the most noise and horsepower with no electric load.
And the reason for this is very straightforward and easy to understand. Take a magnets and try to push the north pole against the north pole of another magnet. It takes force to do it. Now try pushing that same magnet against a piece of wood. No force is required. In the generator you have a big coil that is the ouptput field winding and which is an electromagnet. With no load, there is no current flow, hence no magnetic field. As the current increases, the magnetic field increase, which now presents increasing mechanical resistance to the turning shaft and hence more force is required to turn it.

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:17:44 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

No need. If it works, we'll see it on the news.
Andy writes:
Here's a better one. Use the windmill, thru a gearbox, to a propellor which is at the back of the car to push it forward.
If you can get this to work, you have proven that the windmill will generate enough power to make a car move forward.
And you can do this with a small model, saving time and expense......
It's very much like sailing a sailboat into the wind. .....
( By the way, a sailboat won't sail directly into the wind, but rather at an angle. There's a good reason for that, as I suspect you may find with your car).......
Andy
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:38:01 -0800, Andy wrote:

At the same time you can make the back wheels larger than the front so the car is always rolling down hill. ;-)

A sail on the car will likely be more efficient.
--
Keith

LOLz

But unstepping the mast every time you go into a parking garage will be a bitch.
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:22:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote:

Not if you connect it to the convertible top mechanism.

You don't really need a windmill. You can use a very big U-shaped tube, that swivels in the middle. If the wind is from your back and you want to go forwards, keep the tube U-shapped, and the wind will come in, be reversed in direction by the tube, blow backwards and propel your car forwards.
Keep the bottom of the tube pointing back and swivel the top so that it always points to the direction the wind is coming from.
If you want to go backwards, swivel the bottom of the tube to point towards the front of the car.
This only takes about 3 major parts, along with some servo motors and connections to the car's computer.
Pat. Pend. or I wouldn't be able to describe it here.

Called tacking. Hence the expression, "take a different tack" which some scramble into "take a different tact"! As if it has to do with different ways of being tactful.

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Your windmill WILL consume more energy to push it though the air than it will generate in electicity. Neither process is close to 100% efficient. A windmill powered vehicle could be made which moves slowly from energy derived from prevailing winds but not from the car's motion alone in still air.
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:26:13 -0700, Louis Boyd

That's ok. If the car is going 50mph, and the windmill generates enough to propel it at 40 mph, 40 is plenty.
If 40 isn't enough, if you want to go 60, for example, just go 75 and you'll have enough energy to go 60.