Wind chill and water pipes

Page 8 of 9
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:59:03 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:

I would think in most cases, the architect probably doesn't even get to the level of detail that shows exactly where the pipes run and even if they do, plumbers probably do what they feel like. The plumber runs them where it's easy. Classic case is a kitchen sink which usually has a window, so it's in the middle of an outside wall. Not so easy to run pipes to that, versus coming straight up from the basement. In some houses in colder climates, I've seen where they run them up throught the floor for that instead of in the wall where they are hidden, out of the way, etc.
The main thing the architect can do is avoid putting fixtures where the natural way to get to them would be via an outside wall. In the new construction here in NJ that I've seen recently, the only pipes that are in an outside wall have been for the kitchen sink mentioned above. In my house, built in 1983, the kitchen sink and one bathroom toilet line are in outside walls.

On 1/7/2014 12:59 AM, nestork wrote:

Most of the problems are in older homes, not ones built in the past 30 or even 50+ years when good insulation and proper building techniques are used. The other problems seems to be in homes build in moderate climates that suddenly have a cold spell normally not found there. Houses and trailers that have open crawl spaces. With tens of thousands of older houses in this country there will always be frozen pipes, but it is a rarity in millions of new homes because they do build them properly.
On 1/6/2014 6:19 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Tues Jan 07, 2014, 07:00 AM
My outdoor thermometer says -1F.
First time in years I've seen minus F temps out there. I guess NYS is not experiencing global warming. At least, not this morning.
Something froze. My hot water isn't flowing. Cold is fine. I'll be outdoors in a few minutes with electric heat gun, trying to thaw pipes. Not going to use a torch.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/7/2014 7:11 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hot works in the kitchen,and a little bit in the bathroom sink. Lost the cold in the bathroom sink. Shower and tub diverter seems frozen. The WH cabinet has vent which is wide open, about 12 x 18 inches, and the wind is blowing from that direction. I'm rigging a patch for that vent grille, cover that.
My fingers are serious cold, and I'm not enjoying being out in the cold. Wishing I had a caged 100 watt light bulb I could put out there. And wait for it to thaw.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/07/2014 07:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yesterday it was -15F with a wind-chill of -40
I spent 60 seconds outside. The cat spent 60 seconds outside
and my wife spent 5 seconds outside.
I'm heading out again now but will be back inside soon!
On 1/7/2014 9:19 AM, philo wrote:

For my next trick, I'll see if the truck starts. Never totally sure, these days.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/07/2014 08:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I am not even going to try to start my car...but it probably would start as I put in a new battery a few months ago.
On 1/7/2014 9:43 AM, philo wrote:

Perhaps. best wishes that you and all the readers of this list are OK. This serious cold makes me appreciate natural gas, and electricity.
I didn't expect to be personally the subject of the frozen pipes, but good to know I've got a team of people cheering for me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:05:05 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Nobody's cheering when you write stuff like this..."and will some day maybe wrap the pipes back there, which are not wrapped." Duh!
On 1/7/2014 10:35 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

don't bother.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The "Duh" had nothing to do with wondering why the pipes aren't wrapped.
The "Duh" had to do with you telling us that some day you'll wrap the pipes and then saying "which are not wrapped". I'm pretty sure that most us knew that they weren't wrapped as soon as you told that some day you'll wrap them.
On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Considering that I'd been frozen in the wind chill pretty much all that day, I'm an easy target for a netpick.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/7/2014 9:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

one with the boost, is dead. The 6 amp was slow, but better than nothing.
2 PM, the truck finally started. Ether didn't help. My mechanic suggested heat on the distributor cap. I had cleaned and WD-40 several multi pin connections. I think the one that helped was either on the ignition coil, or ignition module. Drove around the block, and check the mail. Hope that helps for a while.
Still seriously cold. I need to find some indoor activities, while my feet warm back up. I just don't have the blood circulation to be out in the winter.
Going to be sure and leave the faucet drip, tonight.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/7/2014 1:03 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You might want to yank the battery out and let it warm up a bit, then charge it. When you need the vehicle reinstall.
On 1/7/2014 4:56 PM, SteveF wrote:

I've heard of people doing that. It's a very real help. I haven't done it, yet. But who can tell.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

sure of the fraction - but close.
On 1/7/2014 4:56 PM, SteveF wrote:

Back about 40 years ago, I had a Karmann Ghia and not a lot of money. I'd take the battery out every night and bring it in the house, put it back in the morning. Did that most of January one year
On 1/7/2014 8:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

the WH cabinet. Now the bath tub faucets work, kitchen sink works, but bathroom sink barely dribbles, either hot or cold, barely dribbles.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/7/2014 9:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

aerator, and bang it on the counter to remove the particles of crud. Faucet works better, now.
I guess I found out that when it's -2F and blowing in from the direction of the WH cabinet, that I need to leave a pipe dribble. I have also blocked the vent opening, and will some day maybe wrap the pipes back there, which are not wrapped. And it's only 10 AM.
for my next trick, I'll try to start the car.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:03:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Persuant to your original question, do you think those pipes that froze were more likely to freeze with a lower reported windchill or not?