Will you make suggestions?

At www.goodideamyfriend.com there is a picture of a proposed cat house, for real cats. : -0 Would you give suggestions please? The verticals are carpeted, ie to be carpeted and the holes in front are to put food in. If it is a bad idea. let me know so I don't waste my time, especially if you have experience with cats. : -)
Cats are evil. Getting cats is a bad idea. Get a mid-sized dog instead.

I like dogs too. I don't know how but we ended up with a part Pit Bull. A friend left her and then split, sort of. I never had a cat until after 40. Westies are great mid-size dogs. I guess they are really small dogs. Shelties are great. I always loved boxers. : -)
I added some text because someone said they weren't sure what this does. Thanks : -)

It's good you added the text. If you'd really like some comments, here are mine: IMO cats are more communal in nature than this setup. There is also limited access to the houses themselves for any but an adult cat in good health. A cat with a temporary sickness wouldn't be able to get access and, truthfully, I think they would consider it a boring place to go. There has to be something communal added perhaps with hammocks and clawing posts, protrusions to explore, things like that. I have a cattery outside our bedroom window for our 5 cats; they come and go as they please and spend a LOT of time out there in the open. It's full of ledges to climb, carpet hammocks to sleep in, hanging carpet threads to play with, a couple of catnip mice here and there. In all I've only ever had three cats that preferred their own "aparment", and they were orphans left to die by their mothers for whatever reason only nature understood. Each defended their "apartment", usually a closet shelf, ferociously.
Personally I think you need to add a lot more interest and better access to the top layer, which should be open for them. If you'd like some ideas, drfostersmith.com has some good and some great but huge cat platforms etc. available, including big areas like you're considering. Lots of other sites to ge ideas from too.
HTH, Pop
: > : > At www.goodideamyfriend.com there is a picture : > of a proposed cat house, for real cats. : -0 : > Would you give suggestions please? The verticals : > are carpeted, ie to be carpeted and the holes in : > front are to put food in. If it is a bad idea. let me : > know so I don't waste my time, especially if you : > have experience with cats. : > : -) : > : > : :
I'd really like to see a pic of the hamocks. I'll check out drfostersmith.com. Thanks. This is for a hall in my house. We don't let the cats outside any more since one got hit by a car. : -( A couple of our cats are kind of like the one you described who had been abandoned. One is a rescue kitty who was flushed, or rather someone tried to flush him, a couple of ferals who are more than normal now and one who's tail just seems to hit everyone at the wrong time and is very unpopular. She hides most of the day. Thanks for responding. : -)

Our cat doesn't climb enough to get to the boxes. In addition, she likes her food & water separate from her sleeping box. What about adding a lower level of boxes or a platform at the bottom? TB

We could put in another set of boxes as long as there isn't any competition for right of way. : -) a platform would be interesting too. Thanks.
Over the years we obtained some cutesy cat houses, all of which were largely ignored by our cats. The only thing they ever liked was when I put some old carpet around one of the steel posts that support some I beams in the basement; they liked to climb that "tree", especially if they could do it while you were walking by and not looking, so they thought they had surprised you.
I would avoid having the food and water anywhere but on the floor, where spills are easily cleaned up. And none of our cats liked to "live" near their food and water. Once we were remodeling the kitchen, where we keep the food and water bowls, so we moved the bowls temporarily into a study where the cat liked to sleep in a chair, or hide on a shelf; when the bowls showed up the cat moved out and found another room to live in, then returned when the project was over and the bowls went back to the kitchen.
AKA gray asphalt wrote:

You're the second person who suggested not having the food near the sleeping area. I'll keep an eye on what happens. Thanks.