Will we ever see 'universal' cordless batteries.

Page 2 of 2

Standard Oil, giving away oil lamps in China? Then, charging for the lamp oil.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My first color printer was $400 in 1985 dollars (about $800 today's money). Today you can get one that scans, makes copies and faxes for $39. But they still get you for the ink.
Steve B wrote:

I've only had HP printers and I have excellent results changing the default setting to "Fast Draft". It prints well for most everything I print. It used about half or less the ink and that works great for me.
I have seen other brands that print too light on fast draft/rough draft/... but on HP it really works great.

Stop and think for a moment. How much are you paying per ounce for INK? The way HP sells it, it is more expensive then good perfume. It's INK, for cry eye. The same stuff that prints newspapers, and is sold by the barrel. A few pennies per ounce, until HP gets a hold of it. Then it's $75 an ounce.
Why do you suppose HP makes a different cartridge for almost every model printer? It's to keep them as proprietary as possible to keep the prices ASTRONOMICAL. Many of these "different" cartriges are different only by a small bump or groove that allows them to only fit one model. It's not by accident.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

So... do you use a computer printer or do you type everything?

I don't marvel about how I get great savings by using draft mode while paying $75 an ounce for INK. Even the lowest rung of laser printers is vastly cheaper per page than the most economical inkjets.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Ahh. You didn't mention a laser printer in your previous post.

I didn't think I needed to. I was talking about the insane price of the precious drops of ink in a typical inkjet cartridge. Folks talking about getting better mileage out of inkjet cartridges struck me as part of the insanity.
Imagine talking about getting slightly better mileage in your car when gasoline is $1500 a gallon. Absurd, isn't it?
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 07:20:10 -0800, terry wrote:

Maybe. Seems like folk have got their heads together and are working on universal phone chargers now in the interests of saving the planet - and if they can manage that, maybe they can do the same for battery packs. Might be another 20 years away, though...
You can get a battery bay from Radioshack and retrofit it into your device.
But this is like computer printers. My first printer used standard typewritter spool ribbons which cost a buck. I was a fool to throw it out after a dozen years.
Now if someone in CHina can make priter ribbon retrofits!
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]