Will sea levels really rise if the glaciers melt?

Different scenario. Some of the melting ice is sitting on land and will be added to the sea in the form of water.

Repeat your experiment filling the glass with ice, add water to the rim. Now set a couple more cubes on the rim of the glass. That is closer to what may eventually happen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why would you put toast in your toaster? I only take it out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

...to reheat or make it darker. (don't make French toast in it)

Reply to
bob_villa

beause minimizing global warming will cost business and business owners money they prefer to deny its occuring......

Reply to
bob haller

Pretty sure he has a hot water heater, too...........

Reply to
TimR

There will be big business winners and losers in the attempts to limit CO2. But one thing is for sure, it's not business that's going to be paying the cost, it's you. As an example, if your electric company has to pay more to replace coal with solar or for carbon capture, they just pass the cost along to you. Same thing with most of the other products you buy that require energy to manufacture. The manufacturer is just going to pass the cost on to the consumer.

And there are companies and individuals that will make buckets of money in newly created markets, eg solar panels. We've already seen some of what happens there, when govt gets involved, eg Solyndra, Abound Solar. Apparently Al Gore has done pretty well for himself in the green energy field too.

Reply to
trader_4

In news: snipped-for-privacy@88-209-239-213.giganet.hu, Mark Storkamp belched:

oxymoron

Reply to
ChairMan

I do reheat leftover blueberry pancakes in it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ahh ignoring global warming will cost everyone big time. 40% of americanslive along the coasts. who will pay to relocate so many?

food prices can soar if the callifornia food production caused by drought continues.

and cleaner air may save everyone money. hopefully the rate of cancer causedby pollution will drop

and homeowner insurance costs are rising to cover not only coastal storms but tornadoes in the middle of our nation

Reply to
bob haller

Your central argument appeared to be that companies don't want to do anything about global warming because of profits. I'm just pointing out that while there are indeed companies on one side of the battle, there is plenty of profit motive and big business for those on the other side too.

As to global warming costing everyone, seems rather unlikely. Just as there are people that will be negatively affected by it, there are others that will likely be positively affected.

Ignoring it will only have negative consequences if:

1 - The prevailing scientific view is correct and global warming continues for many decades 2 - It's actually caused by manmade CO2. 3 - That we can slow it down substantially or reverse it by steps that enough world govts can all agree on. With folks like China, the largest emitter, saying screw you, how likely do you think that is going to be?

And if anyone of the above is not true, then we will have poured God knows how many trillions down a rat hole.

Sea levels have risen about 6" in the last 100 years. Currently, they are rising about twice that rate. Seems like the prospect of Americans fleeing the coast, if it happens, is still a long way off. If it happens, IDK who will pay for it, but I won't be alive by then to worry about it. Venice has been battling flooding for centuries and somehow they've managed to maintain a city built on water.

Maybe they will. But food prices for the world have already soared because of the massive diversion of crops to alcohol in pursuit of clean energy. Just look at a box of cornflakes or a loaf of bread.

You're mixing apples and oranges. CO2 is a normal component of the earth's atmosphere and isn't a carcinogen.

There weren't hurricanes and tornadoes until now? And even if you're suggesting that they are somehow worse now, there have been periods in past where hurricane activity was increased. They sometimes increase for a decade or two, then decline again. I don't even see most meteorologists trying to claim that global warming is responsible for hurricanes and tornadoes.

I'm not opposed to reasonable, cost effective steps that can reduce CO2 emissions. Higher efficiency furnaces, more insulation in new homes, LED lighting, for example are all good things. But going too far, too quickly, driving up costs everywhere, putting the US at a disadvantage to places like China and India, I don't think that's a good idea. And then you have to contend with the fact that the forces that most want to limit CO2, are also dead set against much of what could be used. For example, the hippies won't allow a nuke to be built. In my world, you can't have it both ways. If global warming is caused by CO2 and 40% of Americans are going to have to flee the coast, then shouldn't we be building nukes? Instead, we're closing them down.

Reply to
trader_4

I'll let you know if there ever is any.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

In other words, "The sky is falling!"

There are many that would argue the biggest threat to our planet today resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

These gullible maroons and useful idiots for the power brokers actually think they are going to control the earth's climate. (I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them.) This is probably rooted in the old Soviet idea that the State would become so powerful that it would control the very weather. That political ideology has now been enhanced in scope in order for the State to take on the Earth's climate as a whole.

It is instructive to look at the predictions made by Warmists and other environmentalists over the last 15 or 20 years. (Or the last 40+ years for that matter.) How many of their dire predictions have actually come to pass?

To really understand the phenomenon of human-caused "global warming," "climate change," or whatever they choose to call it next week you have to follow the power and the money, same as always. It's really about separating you from your money, your property, and whatever is left of your freedoms.

"Global warming is a bunch of hooey." -- Prof. Reid Bryson, father of scientific climatology

Reply to
Roger Blake

...and Iran has recovered it on our 1 yard line.

Our fearless leader has probably dismissed the aide with the football so he wouldn't "photo bomb" up any selfies for the prez.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

PLEASE don't feed the troll

Reply to
ChairMan

Now do this again, but substitute a good whiskey or other hard liquor for the water. Now put a mark at the "whiskey" level and wait until the cubes all melt. I'll bet that the level in that glass will have gone down at least 75%, and you'll be seeing TWO glasses!

What this proves:

If we fill all the oceans with booze, we'll have nothing to fear! (except possibly liver damage) :)

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

In 100 years when the sea rises a few feet, some people will have to places have land that rises pretty fast away from the beach.,move, but not that many. Most "coastal" places have land that rises pretty fast as you get off the beach, Notable exceptions are NYC, parts of DC and most of Florida. It is still a long ways off and lots of other things are far more likely to occur between now and then. I suppose you could start investing in beach front property in Orlando but your great grandchildren will still not be dipping their toes in the ocean there.

Reply to
gfretwell

China is an obvious target but India, Africa and South America are the populations that will be contributing to global warming the most.

Reply to
gfretwell

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Barrier Islands. Ocean City NJ's official height above sea level is something like 36 inches. "A few feet" and they're gone.

Ocean Islands. Whole Pacific island populations are already having to relocate and the handwriting is on the wall for others like the nation of the Maldive Islands in the Indian Ocean.

U.S. Navy. I cannot cite, maybe somebody else can; but IIRC the Navy is building something like 5 feet of sea level rise into it's plans over the next so-many years - and I think the number is way less than 100.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)