Will Rick Perry be next Republican Bozo president?

Page 1 of 3
Will Perry become the next idiot republican prez, following in Bush's klownish footsteps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vjn4zSj8LhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSJv-2qfDNc&feature=related

Home Guy wrote:

We can only hope. Unemployment at 4%, DOW-Jones above 12,000, 23 consecutive quarters of economic growth, low interest rates, virtually no inflation, dead Mohammadens piled up like cordwood.
I miss Bush. Sniff.

consecutive
It was just an illusion, Bub. The magical numbers sprouted from all of that from the Feds spending trillions on post 9/11 security, wars, TSA, etc. It's amazing how a little government deficit spending can falsely goose the economic numbers. Now we're experiencing the crash of the speculative bubble and runaway defense spending that made those high-flying numbers possible - but not real. We also destroyed Iraq, the country that had the most to gain from keeping Iran nuke free because they'd be one of the first victims of Iranian nuclear aggression.
I don't miss Bush one tiny bit. I just wonder how long it will take to pay off the mountain of debt Bush's incredible spending sprees and cowboy diplomacy have left us? When will the Republican Tax Cut Fairy come and wave her magic wand and make 10 years of war debt disappear?
I noticed that voters in Ohio have said "we didn't give the Republicans a mandate to go union busting" and rolled back the changes that the Tea Party & Co. tried ramming down their throats. How many times do they have to get bitch-slapped to realize that NO ONE has a mandate when elections are won by tiny margins? It was pretty easy to see by the tenor of the protests when that law was passed that the Republicans had made a serious error in estimating the support they'd garner for union hatchetwork.
In other news, Republican overreach around the US got knuckle-slapped in a number of states. An anti-abortion amendment in Mississippi got trounced, voting restrictions in Maine got overturned. The seething southwestern anti-immigrantion agenda took a hit as Arizonans recalled the State Senate's president, Russell Pearce and other elections indicated that the day of the Tea Party may have come and gone. Now we will have to wait to see if Wisconsin's Gov. Scott Walker will face a recall vote in the spring. As my very wise journalism prof. said "the pendulum always swings."
With only Romney and P - p - p - Perry looking like they'll survive the "Quickening" and Obama undoubtedly having some pre-election trick up his sleeve comparable to capturing Osama, it's going to be an interesting year ahead.
-- Bobby G.
Bob F wrote:

What's all Obama's fault? That the Republicans have fits? They don't have fits like the liberals do (contrast Tea Party gatherings with the Occupy crowd).
The question for this election is: "Are you better off today than you were $4 trillion ago?"
Robert Green wrote:

You make some good points, especially about Ohio. Although I think the over-all result is more mixed.
Regarding Ohio, specifically, the unions, I believe, dumped upwards of $34 million in the campaign to revoke the anti-union law. If I was in charge in Ohio, I'd pass the bill again, this time exempting cops and firemen, and encourage the unions to spend another $34 million. Eventually the'd run out of money to defeat it.
As to Wisconsin, local governments are already saving bags of money because of the new laws on collective bargaining. For example, in the past, as part of the collective bargaining agreements, teachers got their health care insurance through a wholly-owned subsidary of the state's teacher's union. Now that insurance is open for bids, the premiums are only ONE-THIRD what they were under the collective-bargain mandated vendor.
If savings like that continue, statutes of the governor will be erected in every public square.
Regarding a possible "October Surprise" by the Obama crew, you may be overestimating them. Chicago politics has never been known for subtlety. The "surprise" will be an obviously Photoshopped picture of the GOP nominee delicately removing a woman's garter belt from a goat, the spouse eating monkey brains, or him (or her) carrying a big bag with a big "$" on it away from the Chinese Embassy.
No, don't look for any finesse from the current White House crew.
As for a mandate, that may be in the eye of the beholder. In 2010, the GOP picked up six seats in the Senate and sixty-three in the House. Last Tuesday, the GOP gained control of both houses of the Virginia Assembly to go along with the governorship.

Hmmm. I think the best example of that behavior is Obama. Despite polls showing that the public doesn't like everything from Obamacare, to his reckless spending, he just keeps on keeping on.....
and throw money at it to kill the results of

The ones throwing money at killing Democracy are the Dems. They threw $4tril away since Obama came to office. And their increasing the size and scope of govt is leading Americans down the path of becoming serfs for the state. How many days does one need to work now to pay for it all in taxes?
Furtunately, the public is rapidly catching on to the reality that

That's why the Dems take just as much money from those billionaires and corporations, right? And that's why in the whole subprime mortgage fiasco not one person of any significance has been indicted, right? What are Obama and Holder doing? Under Bush, when we had the internet stock market scandal, execs from Enron, Tyco, WorldCom, etc were tried and are now in prison.

We *know* you're crazy. No more proof needed. Please!
Bob F wrote:

Giggle.
Sixty-one percent of Ohio voters on Tuesday voted to outlaw Obamacare. And that was including a huge union-member turnout.
Robert Green wrote:

You could very well be right. Still, there are very few - if any - Wisconsin state employees, union or otherwise, involved in manufacturing.
Robert Green wrote:

Not only that, but unions can impose additional mandatory contributions on their members to fund these ancillary programs.

You're right. But once in place, a system, agency, or department is virtually impossible to dislodge. I think the last major entity to go bye-bye was the Interstate Commerce Commission which regulated railroads and trucking. It didn't completely go away, though. It's duties were transferred to the Surface Transportation Board of the Department of Transportation.

Now there's a conflict worth watching. When the Fed prints a dollar bill, the federal government earns a couple of pennies for doing the printing. When the U.S. Mint punches out a dollar coin and puts it into circulation, the federal government makes about ninety-seven cents profit.

Yep. Wishful thinking on the part of semi-blind GOP partisans. Those of us with a more pragmatic and less parochial view were saying: "A smooth-talker with no executive experience SHOULD [not "could"] never win the White House".

If they have such elan and sophistication, how come they didn't notice that all four of their Cain accusers came from Chicago?

Uh, we haven't seen a whiplash of this magnitude since 1948 when the Democrats picked up 75 seats in the House and 9 in the Senate.

It was a win in Virginia. The Lt. Governor, a Republican, will cast the tie-breaking vote for organization of the Senate. The subsequent organization will control who sits or chairs what committees and they, in turn, control which bills come up for a vote. Should a partisan vote actually take place, the Lt. Governor will again cast the tie-breaking vote.

One day in the very near future the unions will wake up and realize they no longer represent any workers because they have effectively driven every job out of the country or bankrupted every employer including the public.
BobR wrote:

Except, of course, many that CAN'T leave the country: Teachers, cops, government clerks, etc. The "public service" union members.
Come to think on it, if McDonalds can take and process your order via an internet link to India, why can't the local MVD do much of the same? Just think how much in wages a state could save by putting its 911 operators, county clerk's office, and the like in Bombay!

Those that don't leave the country will be forced in bankruptcy. Many states, cities and counties are already on the verge and more are on the way. The unions are never satisfied because the know they must continue to push for more in order to justify their existance. The fact that they may ultimately kill the goose that laid the golden egg will never be considered.

Don't look now but it may not be too far in the future before that occurs. It's not just about the current cost of the employees but the long term liabilities that are the issues.

They don't care. Unions long ago morphed from helping the worker to helping themselves (and their Democrat handlers).

helping
That is shown by stats. In 2009, the NLRB reported that: Unions faced a total of 6,367 allegations of violating labor law; More than 87% of charges against unions were filed by union members; 78% of those charges were cases where a union attempted to restrain or coerce employees in the exercise of the rights guaranteed by the National Labor Relations Act (Sec.8(b)(1)). The Teamsters were reported to the NLRB a few years ago by their employee union, for example. Of course, the Teamsters have been a lost cause for generations.

day's
quite
that.
other
Capital
process
were
Shirtwaist
vacuum,
think
Agreed. Unions, governments and businesses are all complex systems and as such, they break down, they go haywire, they become obsolete and need upgrading, etc. That's *supposed* to be what Congress is about - maintaining, at least, some level of functionality and purpose in government.

I knew that, but somehow, it's just all crystalized. That's the problem with *all* of our systems. They are taking money from someone to give to someone else. (-:

Don't disagree. Power corrupts. It's why politicians take huge chunks of money in the open that they used to demand under the table. It's why CEOs can get away with $20M compensation packages (thank you, Kurt - I no longer write "salary") and why unions ended up being run by guys with diamond pinkie rings. I did see an interesting item one. It claimed that Teamster investments never lost a dime until Jimmy Hoffa was booted out. The Federal Trustees that stepped in basically eviscerated the pension funds with bad investments.

I think there's an important lesson here. Movements like the labor movement that did a lot of good for a lot of people eventually get crusty like old galvanized pipes running hard water with slow leaks. Sometimes they are best rebuilt from the ground up. There's no doubt that too many people were promised too many benefits without any planning for how they would be paid for. The focus of that fight will doubtless be the municipal and county worker unions that secured those concessions without securing financing.
My J-prof, one of the two smartest people I ever met, had two sayings that are spot on. One is that "the pendulum swings" - no matter how bad things are looking for one side or the other, all sorts of social mechanisms exist to pull that pendulum back. Gun control and abortion are examples of how it swings.
His other favorite saying was to "follow the money." I don't think enough journalists or even investigators live by that rule. I don't believe there are many journalists left that can do it in the modern age because finances are so complex. I'd still like to know who profited most from the real estate bubble because you can bet they're cooking up another bubble to cash in on.
-- Bobby G.
who is that?
On 11/14/11 12:29 am, Robert Green wrote:

That's why we have to ban political contributions altogether, whether by corporations or by unions, and have publicly funded elections.
Perce

But multiple Supreme Courts with multiple outlooks have ALL put the kibosh on such things, due to that pesky first amendment thingy. This is a string of ruling dating from the immediate post-Nixon era forward. In fact a lot of the really weird things, such as PACs, were put in place by what the Supremes let stand and/or shot down.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Take MY tax money to promote a bunch of people with whom I disagree?
I don't think so.