Will outdoor step noses and treads cause rot?

I'm thinking about putting some treads or noses on the steps of my deck to increase visibility and traction.

Do these cause noticible rot over time?

Should I caulk under or around them to seal out water?

Reply to
ShadowTek

What's the deck/steps material?

RicodJour

It's all pressure treated 2x4s.

Reply to
ShadowTek

If it is wet all the time,it will still rot. I'd recommend changing out the treads with wider ones with a bull nose and the anti-slip grooves already in them.

Reply to
aemeijers

ShadowTek:

I own a small apartment block, and I installed synthetic rubber stair treads on all the stairs in both my front and back lobbies. I don't see any problem at all installing rubber stair treads outdoors, but depending on where you live, vinyl stair treads may crack up in the winter, so I'd stay away from vinyl stair treads.

The biggest name in synthetic rubber flooring and stair treads is Johnsonite.

You can order Johnsonite stair treads from any carpet or flooring retailer in your area. The stair treads come in a variety of styles and about 28 different colours.

And yes, I would caulk between the stair treads and the risers with a good quality caulk. In my stair wells, I used a product made by the Sika corporation called Sikaflex 2, which is a moisture cure polyurethane caulk.

If anything, covering the steps with synthetic rubber stair treads will keep the steps dry and prevent them from rotting.

I'd confirm with Johnsonite that the synthetic rubber treads are suitable for outdoor installations in 40 degree below weather (or however cold it gets where you live in winter).

------------------------------------- ..in solidarity with the movement for change in Iran.

Reply to
Nestor Kelebay