Will it hold?

I would like to glue some 4x4 ceramic tiles (house numbers) to my entry door. (Covering up some discolored areas.)
The door was previously coated with satin spar varnish. Will any glue hold on the varnish, if so, what kind of glue should I use?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

We cannot answer without more information. Adhesive properties vary with humidity, high and low temperatures (cf. differential rates of expansion of ceramic and wood materials), exposure to rain (whether ice or rain can build up on the top edge of the tile and pentrate behind it (and so on.)
The simplest way to attach tile to wood is usually to place the tile in a wooden frame that is screwed to the wood.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Walter R. wrote:

Can you put them in a (custom?) frame then screw the frame to the door?
Walter R. wrote:

Use a mastic or a caulking material. If needed, support with masking tape until dry.
--

dadiOH

Most glues hold fine. I've never heard of a bolt used for book binding.
Noozer wrote:

Does a three-ring binder count?