Will hydrogen balloons come back?

but its from the darling of the right, Sarah Palin

Both. The US wouldn't sell Germany helium. And the Hindenberg was one huge fire trap anyway. The outer skin was linen coated in nitro-cellulose (gun cotton) that was impregnated with aluminum powder. That was common in fabric airplanes of the day, but burned like flash paper. -- Doug
On Friday, September 21, 2012 5:50:00 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Someone's been reading the wikipedia page on helium.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Smoking was permitted on all hydrogen-filled airships.
I envision hydrogen baloons, and soon some teenager will figure out s/he can explode them with a lighter. Lots of fun.
Helium is rapidly becoming unobtainable and very expensive when you find it.
Now that smoking is virtually illegal, maybe hydrogen balloons are the answer (outside only).
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 21:22:01 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

The question might arise, would this balloon explode or implode? A fairly large balloon would end up being a few drops of water. Then you have to ask, how much of that water be vaporized by the heat of the reaction?
Where are our chemistry majors?
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 23:18:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Neither. It'll burn.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:42:44 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

We all know it burns but the resulting compound is water that is a lot denser than H2 or O.
Does the volume decrease or is the H2O going to be water vapor? Is that a higher or lower volume than the original H2 component?
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:05:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ya' think?!

Increases - a LOT. You know, heat?! PV=nRT, and all.

Water vapor at the same temperature would have a lower volume by 2/3s. Three molecules in, two out; 2H2 + O2 => 2H20.
I've had occasion to do this (work related). A balloon full of hydrogen just goes pffft. But if you put some oxygen in as well you get a nice bang. Liz

Well, that sounds disappointing.