Will Dryer on Top of Washer be too much Weight for my Floor?

Hello,
I'm thinking of getting a Washer / Dryer Unit in which the Dryer is directly on top of the Washer. This will be replacing an old Washer / Dryer Unit that were Side-By-Side. I live in a townhouse (not that that matters). They will be going in on the 2nd Floor, and I'm concerned that the weight might be too much for the floors. Could this pose a problem? How would I find out if the weight of the Dryer on top of the Washer is indeed too much for the floor?
Thanks. samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca

significant weight there. Couple of hundred pounds, max. Look on the side of the box in the store, or on the data plate, or on the manufacturer web site. On a second floor install like that, I would take advantage of the empty room to put down a catch pan, with drain if plausible, and maybe one of those auto water shutoff switches, for the washer. There is a reason washers are usually on the lowest level- at some point, almost all of them overflow or leak, at least a little.
aem sends....

Maybe a little more. One of the GE products I just checked was spec'ed with a net weight of 277 pounds. Add a bit for water and clothes when it's in use.
Even so, it's going to be the equivalent of a couple of adults -- not a floor loading problem for anything with half-decent construction.

Good point. Ceiling repairs are such a pain!

Last time I lived in an apartment, someone above me had a leaking washer. The first I knew of it was water appearing INSIDE the ceiling light in my apartment.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Jan 29, 8:22�am, samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

it automatically turns on water ONLY when washer is on. so water in lines arent pressurized unless washer is in use.
theres also a leak pan the washer sits in, you run a drain line off it outdoors or to basement. so leaks dont do damage
finally theres a water sensor alarm, its sounds alarm when leak occurs.

Are those valves any less likely to fail than the hoses?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
if alve failed the most that would likely occur is water on all the time to hoses.
being its a fixed position permanetely installed item it should be highly reliable.
flood from washer almosat certinally covered by homeowners insurance.
once homeownewrs pays for flood they will most likely require a auto shutoff valve

Not a concern at all. The weight will be over at least two joists. In the scheme of things, they are not all that heavy.
On Jan 28, 6:22 pm, samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

I'm sure that the floor would support the weight, but you might find that there will be some vibration. I did this in a bungalow on the main floor, and with both the washer and the dryer running, there is some evident vibration in the floor.
In fairness, this might be more due to the high speed of a front loading washer than the fact that both appliances are stacked...
good luck.
maurice