Will decomposed granite hold up to wheeled garbage can traffic?

Page 1 of 2
I would like to put in a path over to the side of our house where we keep t he garbage cans. I like the look of decomposed granite, but I'm afraid that the weight of the cans (sometimes as much as 75 lbs) on 1" wide hard plast ic wheels will quickly leave ruts, whether I stabilize it or not. What do y ou think?
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:36:00 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds as if you are in So Cal and you are using the large bins from waste management.
DG is good as a foot path as long as you put down a weed barrier. However, I would probably put down DG and then put in some flagstone, asphalt, or just pour some concrete.
How long of path?
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:58:58 AM UTC-8, Lab Lover wrote:

p the garbage cans. I like the look of decomposed granite, but I'm afraid t hat the weight of the cans (sometimes as much as 75 lbs) on 1" wide hard pl astic wheels will quickly leave ruts, whether I stabilize it or not. What d o you think?

r, I

st pour

30 feet.
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 13:37:08 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, if you make it thick enough and mechanically compact it, I am sure it would work ok. My personal preference would be to add flagstone or inexpensive pavers.

Decomposed granite is fragile. Breaks down. As you said, pavers, flagstone, bricks all look good and won't disintegrate. Rolls easy too.

Yes, but some folks like to do it the easier cheaper way and are not as concerned with permanence. It isn't the way you and I think, that is for sure. I only want to do the job once.
What I did was to have the wife plant some shrubs conveniently between the door of the house and the gate to the driveway. I hide the garbage cans inside the shrub enclosure, the cans are close enough so that taking out the trash isn't a chore and putting the cans out for collection is a piece of cake. I always try to find the easiest, longest term solution. Aesthetics is always a secondary priority, way below practicality.
Obviously, there are many different situations.

Not sure decomposed granite is cheap or easy. Especially if done right. Then I don't want granite dust tracking all over.
Now THAT'S an interesting suggestion. Don't raise the bridge, lower the riv er! I'll go out this weekend and see if I can't find an alternative locatio n for those garbage cans - at least the super-heavy yard-waste recycling on es. (It's truly impressive how much crap our gardeners can get into one can !) Thanks.
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:50:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sometimes all it takes is a fresh pair of eyes.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

75 lbs a week?
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:29:10 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Yard waste.

where I live yard waste isn't allowed in the garbage can, but if it were
75 lbs a week?
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:45:41 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

We have special yard waste bins. They are picked up by a truck with an automated lifting arm. 75 lbs. wouldn't be uncommon for my place.

At our Alibamistan house, yard waste is picked up by the city. Just put it by the street and it's gone. Same goes with household trash. It's picked up on Thursdays (garbage is on Wednesdays), unless there is a holiday that week. They'll take everything, free, except stuff with CFCs, and then with a sticker (on sale for something like $5).
Here, it's just garbage and recycles (which other than cardboard, I don't separate). I have enough land that any yard waste just gets dumped in the corner of the lot. I don't bag grass, so it's not a problem.

per pickup (once or twice a month)?
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:34:21 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Weekly

so how does someone generate 75 lbs per week of yard waste?
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:30:46 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Follow you around.

Wet cut grass is heavy, and when they rake they pick up a lot of dirt so that goes in there too. Then they get 2 or 3 guys on top of the can where they hold hands and jump up and down to pack in even more stuff.
Yes I'm kidding. But I swear that's how it feels when they're done.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

that's called the Seattle Stomp...it was useful until they put "scales" on the pick-up arm and charged by weight