Will Apple sue God next?

It looks like Apple is feeling bullish after its recent patent win over Samsung. Polish news site Telepolis reports that the Cupertino-based tech company has set its lawsuit-happy sights on another company over trademark issues. Only this time it's not a global tech company that happens to make an iPhone-like smartphone--it's an online Polish grocery site called A.pl.

Reply to
Hecho en China

Samsung. Polish news site Telepolis reports that the

company over trademark issues. Only this time it's not a

online Polish grocery site called A.pl.

Crap like this reinforces why I don't own any Apple products. But I do go to some Polish grocery stores.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is a fairly common technique by rascally companies.

In 2008, Monster Cable sent a letter to Blue Jeans Cable claiming infringement of intellectual property and demanding royalties. Blue Jeans Cable's response to Monster Cable's lawyers, while long, is a hoot.

(Monster made the mistake of trying to intimidate a reformed lawyer.)

Money quote:

"I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation, expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me. You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. It may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of settling frivolous claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of the insurance carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but it is how I have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not going to change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."

As I said, the response to Monster's demand letter is lengthy, but it's really fun to see a bully get his comeuppance.

(Monster Cable once threatened to sue a day-care center whose name was "Monster Day Care" for infringement of intellectual property!)

Reply to
HeyBub

Hecho en China wrote the following on 9/17/2012 5:29 AM (ET):

Maybe NYC ("The Big Apple") should sue Apple.

Reply to
willshak

Is there a law that says it can=92t start to sell smart-phones one day in the future?

Reply to
recyclebinned