Will a microwave oven beep for eternity?

Will a microwave oven beep for eternity?

For me, beeping microwave ovens, as well as "door ajar" beepers in cars, and anything else that keep beeping, is one of the most irritating things in life. This is one reason I refuse to eat at McDonalds, since it seems they have at least 5 or more beepers blaring at all times.

I have successfully removed the beepers from all my vehicles. But the one in the Microwave has yet to be removed. For example, last Friday I stuck a cup of water in my microwave oven, (for instant coffee), and left the house minutes later. When I got home about 11 hoursd later, that goddamn Microwave was still beeping at a rate of about 3 beeps every 40 seconds. ANNOYING AS HELL! If it just beeped for 30 seconds after it shut off, I'd not complain, but it's almost like the designers of these products WANT to ANNOY people.

I guess it's time to open the box on my microwave and find which wire to cut.....

I do wonder if I left it, if it really would beep for eternity? (or at least till there was a power outage).....

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Get a new microwave. My Samsung OTR beeps once a minute or so for 2 or 3 minutes and then stops.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Mine is an Oster, and it's about 2 years old. Last night I put a cup of water in it, and fell asleep before I got to use the water. This morning, I walked in the kitchen and BEEP BEEP BEEP.... Nearly 9 hours later. It seems like Samsung has a little more common sense than Oster.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

My Nixon era microwave "dings" one time and turns off when the spring wound timer gets to the end. Power surges and such do not bother it either. The thing that usually goes in a MW is the clock, then it is dead for all extents and purposes. Fix, drill a hole through the control pad and put a spring wound timer in it. going back to old school.

Reply to
gfretwell

For what it's worth, I have a Panasonic that's about 7 years old. It gives 4 short beeps lasting a total of about 5 secs, then shuts up. I have experience with about a 10 year old KitchenAid, built-in. That beeps a few times, then keeps beeping about once a minute for

5 or 10 mins. That's already enough to be annoying. Working on something else in the kitchen, talking on the phone, the beeps get annoying real fast. I feel for Jerry, because this is one of those product details you have typically don't even think about until after you bought it. And even if you did think about it, you'd have to call the manufacturer and hope that someone there knows the correct answer, it's never on the box.
Reply to
trader_4

I have a motor home with a Ford truck and drive train. It is the most irritating thing I have seen. For seat belts, it will ding, ding, ding about 20 times before pausing. But worse, if the driver takes off the belt and gets out of the seat with the unit in park, it will continue to do this forever. Ford, the stupidest designers I've ever seen.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Ten minutes is bad enough, but eternity is worse. I know for fact it kept beeping for a whole weekend last summer. I came home from camping all weekend and it was beeping when I walked in the house. Thats when I recalled hitting the start button just before leaving on Friday because the timer was flashing and had something like 5 seconds to go. Yea, it has a stop (reset) button, but my old eyes cant read those small print buttons without putting on some reading glasses.

This Oster is also programmed for the clock to be in 24 hour mode (military time). Although military time has it's good points, I am not used to it, and want it in 12 hour mode. While there may be a way to set it to 12 hour time, it's NOT in the manual. I've learned to ignore the clock. I have one on the wall anyhow. Needless to say, I would not recommend an OSTER!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

My high-frequency hearing is shot, so I barely hear the microwave beeper, and can totally miss my Subaru Forester seat belt beeper if the car radio is on.

Reply to
hrhofmann