Will a leaf and lawn vacuum work for this application? Who makes good ones?

Dear Friends,
We are a school with a lot of property in the heart of a big city. We are trying to find a way to "police" all around the block we occupy - picking up both leaves and the paper trash that people drop all over the sidewalk.
We are considering purchasing a leaf and lawn vacuum. Will it work to suck up the papers, even those close to the chain link fences that run around most of the property? Will it operate effectively on sidewalks even though most of the catalogue photos show it being used on lawns?
The one we are considering is the walk-behind model, the so-called DR Leaf and Lawn Vacuum.
It is about $1600 Can anybody give any feedback on this? Is there a better machine we don't know about.
Thanks so much for your help.
Mike
You might at least look at and compare to a Billy Goat.
Here is some information: http://www.billygoat.com/site/categoryLobby.aspx?id
I know these work well for debris and pavement. Large sheets of paper and newspaper may hang up. You might be interested in the attachment hose and the chariot: http://www.billygoat.com/site/accessories.aspx?pid ( ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

FacilityFred wrote:

Mike-
Checkout
http://www.billygoat.com/site/productCategories.aspx?id
Have a rep demo the unit he suggests for your application...seeing on work is the best
cheers Bob

detention, that 1 hour of picking trash gets 2 hours credit against their time?
(Yeah, I know- they ain't allowed to treat the little dears that way any more....)
aem sends...
FacilityFred wrote:

One of those blowtorches that firefighters use to start backfires would be more fun.
You'd probably have dozens of kids volunteering.
get that demo another poster mentioned, and the thing to look out for is how it does with plastic grocery bags that are always blowing around. The mechanisms of most of them may have problems with them.

FacilityFred wrote:

Be aware that some of the units suck lawn debris and leaves through the impeller blades. This slightly mulches leaves and grass but can damage the unit if it sucks up sticks or other debris.
If garbage collection is a main aim you might do better with one of the indistrial vacuum units. It will not mulch the waste but is capable of sucking up cans and paper.