Wil this conquer cat piss?

My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to piss in off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside she'l use the corner instead of venturing out the cat door.
So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board underneath also reeks of canine urine.
So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the odor although only half as strong.
I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint over it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any odor would waft up into the room?
Thanks for your feedback.
Bleach will take care of it. It may take several applications. May need to soak in as it were.
In spewed forth: :: My wife's stupid cat has used a corner of out living room to piss :: in off and on for year - usually when the weather is bad outside :: she'l use the corner instead of venturing out the cat door. :: :: So, we decided to pull up the stinky carpet and put down hardwood :: floors. Today we pulled up the carpet and discovered the OSB board :: underneath also reeks of canine urine. :: :: So we used a strong detergent and let it dry. Still there's the :: odor although only half as strong. :: :: I could replace the OSB but that's a lot of work. What if I paint :: over it before putting the hardwood floor down? Do you thin any :: odor would waft up into the room? :: :: Thanks for your feedback.
On 5 Nov 2005 18:40:22 -0800, "Never Enough Money"

Sorry about the cat pissing problem: try to address that behavioral issue separately (make sure the cat doesn't have a urinary tract infection, consider what new stuff is happening in the house (new cat, dog, child?), clean the litterbox daily, etc.). Yes, you need to either paint over or seal that OSB somehow before you put down new hardwood floor. That should seal the wood, but make sure you don't miss any nooks and crannies in the area. I'm sure simple cheap primer would work fine for this application.

There is a product sold in pet stores called Nature's Miracle. It will break down the enzymes in urine and eliminate the odor. You might want to check that out too.

Ray wrote:

I tried this, in a similar situation, and it didn't help at all.

I ended up replacing the underlayment. In my case, you could smell it in the basement as well (though not as strong), so I don't think paint would have completely solved the problem.
T.

Paint the floor area with at least 3 coats per label directions of a product called BINS. This stuff is shellac based so use cheap brushes and plan on throwing them away.
Colbyt

Or properly clean a good brush and keep it for many years. The solvent for shellac is alcohol.
wrote in message

I think the answer to your problem is a very big dog....
I use ammonia/water mix when cleaning brush used for shellac.

paint the floor with Kiltz. All that CRAP they see to get rid of the odor gets rid of wallet money that's all. A house we bought had the exact problem I just sealed the floors never smelled it again.

In addition to the other suggestions, I have found that plain white vinegar at ~$1.25/gal at Sams is as effective as Natures Miracle.
"Rich Greenberg" <wrote ...

and if plain vinegar doesn't do the trick, apply baking soda then spray with vinegar, let it foam and then wet-vac it up. I used this trick on carpet and padding. thank goodness it worked, cuz i didn't feel like replacing the carpet just yet.
--
lynn

Never Enough Money Wrote:

I vote for Binz....several coats after several good cleanings.....can you get to the back side? if so, coat it too! That cat pee is something else! OSB is tough to deodorize. Check the cat's health and keep it's litter clean, add another cat box, maybe in that corner she likes....one more thought, vinegar seems to help kill that smell when cleaning it up.
--
milkmaid02

Sorry to say I had one of these animals. I suggest that you fix the problem with the animal before you try a new surface. My ex had a cat that refused to use the litter box. Pissed and crapped in the bathroom. We tried and tried to convince kitty that this was unacceptable behavior. Nothing ever worked. One day she just did not come back. I always wondered if she found a better deal with someone else. Can not say that I was sorry to see her go.
Thanks for the advice folks. We cleaned the OSB with detergent twice. Then we painted it over twice. Then I put the wood flooring down. Haven't smelled a molecule of cat piss since then. Even had guests over for Thanksgiving and served them a huge meal within 3 feet of the former piss spot....