Wifi thermometers

Page 2 of 2
On 11/10/2013 9:31 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Tony, I agree. I own my name (dongares.com) and several other domains and if you point your browser to http://www.dongares.com/weather.htm you can see the temperature in my home and also the weather outside. I do have that URL redirected at this time but it will still get you there.
Don
IGot2P wrote:

WX station? I have a Davis one.
On 11/12/2013 10:16 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Nope, La Crosse Technology. Actually, I have two identical ones just in case something goes bad but so far the second one is still in the box. I also have live cameras pointed at the house from a detached building and several motion activated cameras in the house that upload via ftp and also email me if motion is detected. Of course they are only on when we are gone.
IGot2P wrote:

I have two outdoor and two indoor cameras all Vivotech ones. Just set it up and ready when needed.

We bought a Nest for our other house while it was vacant. It works really well and is fairly simple to install on pretty much any system. it doesn't meet the OP's requirement of "not a thermostat", though.
On 11/08/2013 01:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Sure, just open a port on your router and use RDP or VPN to gain access to your home network. If it is visible on your computer, then you can make it visible to yourself as a remote client.
Jon
On 11/8/13, 4:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Take a look at this one http://store.lacrossetechnology.com/temperature-and-humidity-monitor-and-alert-system
"Use a smartphone, tablet or computer to receive alerts and remotely monitor temperature and humidity levels"

Thanks. I'll check into it.
but what they conceal is vital.

I installed a Nest thermostat a few months ago. Its app allows me to monitor and adjust the furnace and set scheduling from anywhere. Installation was fairly painless but you MAY need atleast a three-conductor thermostat cable depending on the brand you buy. The Nest thermostat is a computer so it needs two power wires, and then the extra heat wire going back to the furnace. My old thermostat was a typical old school two-wire mercury switch type so I had to run a new 3 conductor cable through a couple walls.
Something you may not have even thought about are the extra possibilities that a modern thermostat might give you such as monitoring energy and /or gas consumption. I had heard that Nest supposedly provided some daily data but I quickly found they DO NOT currently give you detailed start and runtime data. The bloody thermostat sends this data to Nest and all they give out is a monthly email telling me how many stupid green leafs I've earned. There is a daily bargraph showing approximate start times (but no runtime), and a daily total to the nearest quarter-hour.Inaccurate data is useless data to me.
To interface my furnace to my existing smarthome system I ended up installing a relay on the gas valve to signal to the smarthome stuff that the furnace is on or off. I get an email now from my furnace on each event! I'm able to enter this into a spreadsheet which gives me total daily runtime and other nerdy stuff that most people probably aren't interested in.
Sooooo, shop around and see which ones come with a phone app and then do some further reading to find out what other features it may offer you. The Nest thermostat has many advanced features, most of which I've turned off, and it's very pricey. You will have to balance the options against what you're willing to shell out.
Keep us informed.
TheBornLoSer wrote:

Does Nest have emergency fall back setting? Like when RTA temp. on your furnace is falling below dangerous freezing point for some malfunction, can it fall back to safe temp setting automatically? In another word, does it have RTA temp sensor signal into the 'stat? My Honeywell WiFi 'stat has that as an option and it was a matter of drilling little hole on the RTA plenum and install sensor and run a wire to the interface control module.
On 11/10/2013 1:35 PM, TheBornLoSer wrote:

I'm sure you can come up with situations where it might be important to monitor remotely in real time.
But for most of us, it's just a potentially expensive hobby.
IMHO, the only reason to have data is if you're gonna use it to make tomorrow better by changing something.
Most of us live uneventful/predictable lives. What happens today is gonna be very much like what happened yesterday. On average, our existence is average.
You probably have dials on your gas meter and your electric meter that you can watch go around. If you've done the math and have installed the cost-effective weatherization, what more can you do?
You don't need real-time monitoring to know that taking shorter and colder showers costs less money. You don't need real-time monitoring to know that turning down the thermostat saves heating $$$.
So, use less to the greatest extent you can stand. Not much more to be done.
I programmed a PALM Pilot to watch the flashing light on the smart electric utility meter. I can see a graph of usage history. It was fun for about a week to watch the water heater go on and off. And see every time I ran the microwave to heat up coffee. But it hasn't changed my coffee habits one bit. Twice, when I bothered to look at the readout, I went searching for unintended power use and found the attic lights on. Saved me nowhere near the cost of the monitoring system.
I programmed another PALM to monitor the furnace fan. I can graph gas usage (the translation from fan to gas is straightforward math) in real time. Once, I could tell that the furnace was malfunctioning, but only after I felt cold and went to check.
One interesting thing I found was that the thermal time constant of the house was very long. Temperature setback for a few hours at a time saved almost nothing. Took damn near as many BTU's to reheat the house as were saved by the setback. YMMV if everybody in the house stays away for long periods of time.
Bottom line is that people should reduce ALL their energy usage to the minimum they can tolerate. If checking the consumption of the fridge causes you to buy a new fridge...it did for me...then do it. Further monitoring is not helpful.
Most of us already have all the monitoring tools we need sitting right outside the house on the utility meters.
Don't monitor anything if the result won't change the future.
But it can be a fun hobby...till you get bored and move on.
Hi,
If you are still looking for WiFi thermometer with access from "away" - have a look there <a href="http://www.wispher.net/wisphert.php ">WiSpherT</a>
Cheers,
WiSpher
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There is Eco Bee also.
Hi,
If yiu are still looking for WiFi theremometer with access from "away" please have a look there: http://www.wispher.net/wisphert.php
Cheers,
WiSpher
Hi,
If you are still looking for the WiFi thermometer with access from "away" please have a look there: http://www.wispher.net/wisphert.php
Cheers, WiSpher
trader_4 wrote:

I can raise mine <under ideal conditions> from 35F to 80F in under 10 minutes ... BUT I have a woodburning stove sized for the final size of our new house , and only about 30% of the final structure is currently built . I don't expect that quick of temp rise when we're finished , but that's partly because of the thermal storage mass that will be incorporated into the final structure .
--
Snag