Wifi network names

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:08:33 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Oh. Just to be clear, by "little kids and their families" you really mean snot-nosed thieves and their miscreant parents, right?
On 9/24/2012 9:32 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Quite often, the parent has no idea that the kid is pirating music or their WiFi network isn't password protected and someone outside of their home has been using their network. I have directional high gain antennas and I can access open networks all over the neighborhood. Luckily, I'm not a Juvenal Delinquent who downloads music from pirate sites and I respect private property. I have been known to notify folks of security issues as a good neighbor which is much appreciated by neighbors who will look out for me as a way to return the favor. When they offer me money for helping them with anything, I decline saying "You're my neighbor and I may need your help someday." Help the little old lady down the street and she'll call you if she sees someone snooping around your property. As far as kids doing illegal downloading of anything, the kid may not even know it's wrong and good parents want to know what their offspring is up to. Folks are a bit more computer savvy than they used to be but there are still gaps in their knowledge which the kid can and will take advantage of if the parent doesn't keep an eye on them. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:12:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas

How well do these work? Can you recommend one for a laptop?
On 9/25/2012 4:52 AM, CRNG wrote:

The problem with a laptop is how to connect the antenna without opening up the laptop to screw around with its internal WiFi adapter. You can get a USB WiFi adapter that has an antenna connector. I had a PC card type for my old Dell laptop that had the connector and I now have one that is USB. I have a Hawking HiGain Directional Corner Antenna that I've owned for some years that is compact and can sit on a desk or other location within reach so I can aim it. I had it sitting on top of my desktop computer when I lived next door to my late friend GB and shared Internet access with him. I was able to get a good signal through several walls of the two houses using an internal adapter that had a RP-SMA external antenna jack. I have a pile of different equipment for all sorts of situations so I'll list a few links to what may work for you and your laptop. You may be able to use an adapter with a directional "panel" antenna that I've found to work well in many situations. Here are some links to the type of gear that may work for you. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/cyshzur
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/c95fklj
A problem with the higher power USB adapters and a laptop can be battery drain so there are many choices to consider for mobile use. If you are only interested in stationary use on your desk, it shouldn't be a problem since you can plug a power supply into your house power. Another consideration is whether or not the USB port on your laptop can supply enough power for the higher power adapters, again, house power and a wall wart takes care of that. If you are interested in mobile use or "Wardriving" to ferret out connections in your exploration of your environment you can get a lot of tips and information from Wardriving websites. ^_^
https://personaltelco.net/wiki/WarDriving
http://www.wikihow.com/War-Drive
http://www.wardriving.com /
TDD
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:04:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Thanks very much for the very detailed and informative reply.

There are a bunch of adaptors that look similar to the link. They come with a program from chipset to view all signals, strengths, names, etc. This extends the usual range by a bunch. They can clip to the top of laptop screen. For USB, which still uses the laptop interface circuit also, gor g operation.
Typically the laptop wifi antenna is in top left or right of screen.
http://www.apexcell.com/computer-laptops-usb-wifi-adapter-c-604_1194.html
Greg

Not sure if this has detachable antenna. Mine does. It's easy to build the cardboard antenna reflector, easy to find on the net, or use other gain antennas.
Greg

Get them cheap from china.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000mW-10G-USB-Wireless-Wifi-Adaptor-Antenna-Realtek-/260695426352?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3cb2a88530
Greg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000mW-10G-USB-Wireless-Wifi-Adaptor-Antenna-Realtek-/260695426352?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3cb2a88530
Some screen shots of realtek program.
http://www.radiolabs.com/downloads/manuals/Basic%20User%20Manual%20for%20RadioLabs%20USB%20Wifi%20Antennas.pdf
Greg
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:32:55 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Actually not so much. They are more likely to go after the 'low hanging fruit' that will get headlines without incurring a lot of legal costs.
Jim

Imagine that, trying to protect the intellectual property rights of the lawful copyright holders and the companies that have millions of dollars invested and at risk. Crazy indeed!
--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra

+1
On 9/25/2012 9:35 AM, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

Of course it's wrong to steal copyrighted material but the business model hasn't changed from the record store days of yore for some of the media outfits. The company will have a set price for an album and ONE song is popular and a hit with listeners but the album that contains the one desirable song is filled out with garbage that no one wants. The music producers who understand the facts will sell the single on a site like iTunes for a reasonable price. The real villains in the theft of intellectual property can't usually be found so The RIAA goes after some family with a little kid who downloaded a few songs and didn't know any better. Demands of thousands of dollars per song or movie is quite silly and pouncing on someone who has little or no money is downright dumb. I agree with going after those who pirate the material and sell it to others but nuking a kid who downloaded a few songs is shear stupidity to me. I don't pirate material off The Internet and advise folks and their children against it because they can easily wind up with malware on their computer. O_o
http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-online-music-piracy-pales-in-comparison-to-offline-swapping-120726 /
http://tinyurl.com/c6f5ybv
TDD

Or FBI Surveillance Van