Wifi network names

Page 1 of 3
I was walking on a walk track furnished by the local hospital. Part of the track goes behind some Apartment building.
There were a list of wifi passwords. One of them was "neighbors suck"

I was sitting in my home office one day and check wifi's. One was "FBI surveillance van". Now why would they advertise that.

Its called a joke. If I have to explain it its not funny.

I saw the same thing, "FBI survellance van", painted on a white van parked along the street. The lettering was professionally done on all sides including reverse lettering on the hood. Cute.
Tomsic

The internet is NOT a place to joke around. The internet is very serious business.
What's the penalty for joking? Have to take some sensetivity training classes, taught by old retired Catholic penguins, with rulers for whacking knuckles? No, wait, separation of church and state. Maybe Bob Dole and John McCain can be hired to teach? Some descendants of Richard Nixon?

The internet is NOT a place to joke around. The internet is very serious business.
snipped-for-privacy@FBI.gov wrote in wrote:

I almost used the FBI surveillance van for mine. Now I use, CIA_Safehouse. Found a bunch of others on a website.

I like "dangerous site".

"FREE viruses This network kills everyone".

I thought maybe Crack House Crack Ho Ho House
On 09/28/2012 11:34 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

"FBI Crack Trap House"

While on vacation, I was sniffing a wifi across street at fairly small hotel like building.
OMG, must have had 8-9 units, with names like back porch, front, porch, dinning, etc. And I'm listening across the street. All password protected, darn.
Greg
On 9/24/2012 3:19 PM, rlz wrote:

Years ago when I toyed with Script Kiddies trying to get into my system, my computer name, the one that shows up on any network was "NSA STRIKE TEAM". When I service networks and hook my service laptop to a network and work with remote tech support, my laptop shows up on the network as "Laptop From Hell" so there's no mistake which port of a switch or router I'm hooked to. I also use some pretty horrid names for my own WiFi AP's. ^_^
TDD
On 9/24/12 3:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Actually those weren't passwords but rather were the names of the residents' networks-- SSIDs if you're a technical sort.
--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra
On 09/24/12 04:35 pm, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

Why do people broadcast their SSIDs? If I know who you are and think that you have a legitimate need to access my network via WiFi, I'll tell you what the SSID is -- or I'll enter the information on your computer for you.
Perce
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:29:09 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

So my laptop can find the router automatically when I get home.

Why bother hiding it?
On 09/24/12 08:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

My laptop knows both my SSID and my password: it connects automatically.

Because if nobody knows my WiFi network exists, how are they going to try breaking into it?
Perce
On 9/25/2012 9:06 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The don't broadcast your SSID idea is just nonsense that keeps on showing up in the various "computer expert" articles who are paid by the word.
It certainly doesn't make your network invisible and just causes issues for nearby wireless users.
On 09/25/12 09:38 am, George wrote:

I think that some "sniffing" programs may be able to tell that my WiFi network exists, but if the SSID is unknown, that's another hurdle for somebody to deal with if s/he wants to try to break into my network or simply freeload on my Internet connection.
What issues does an invisible (or SSID unknown) network cause for other wireless users?
Perce

Seems like WPA plus a strong password would handle just about anything except perhaps a hacker army. The installer who set up my router recently also told me to use passwords with a space or two in them which apparently makes them much harder to figure out.
Tomsic