Widest possible gate?

Page 3 of 4

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

And you know I'm missing some vital information exactly how?
All I did was mention that Monsanto is GMing seeds such that the resulting crops are immune to the effects of Roundup. I made no claim about Roundup's panacea or lack thereof (although such could be inferred).
While I appreciate your insistence that I consult news source aimed at sober grownups, your directive is officious, non-germane, and presumptuous.
ransley wrote:

This world needs lot more human like you. Roundup, Eh? I am primitive. I trim my lawn with my own two hands, snip, snip, snip for hours at a time, LOL!
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You can do that, but you can't build it out of fence panels alone. You could start with two fence panels, but you'll have to add all sorts of bracing.
A ten-foot gate won't support itself. It will have to have a wheel on the end.
Options: * Two five-foot sections that open from the middle. These are small enough to support themselves. * Put paving stones under the bottom of the fence so you don't have to use the trimmer. * Use persistent plant killer at the bottom. This keeps *anything* from growing where you spray it for one year. This is what I do to keep my grass out of the neighbor's flower bed.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Paving stones - there's an interesting idea. Maybe use some that are wide enough so the mower can be rolled on top and the blades can reach the edge where the stones meet the grass.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

That's exactly what my dad did several years ago. He buried 2" concrete blocks level with the soil around the whole yard. He now uses an edger instead of a trimmer, except where he decided to stack stuff on the blocks. :-(
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

a wood gate is going to be heavy. might be a issue for your mom.
chain link wouldnt look as nice but will; be lighter and easier to move.
if your area gets snow the rolling wheel and such may get frozen in place.
A ten-foot gate won't support itself. It will have to have a wheel on

Huh? I made a 22' wide two piece gate. The tricks are in the posts, bracing the posts, geometry of the gate, if you can use any banjo string tensioners, and if you can use stiffeners like perforated metal or even solid.
Made and have seen many gates over ten feet.
One of my specialties was doing things others said couldn't be done. For a fee, of course.
Steve
Steel erection contractor for nine years. Ornamental metal five years before that.
SteveB wrote:

Of course *you* can build a long gate. You know to use a big-honkin' post, metal-frame the gate, use a bracing wire, etc, and have the required experience. The original poster was talking about making a gate from borg fence panels, so I tailored my answer to his apparent experience level. Maybe he could do it too, but I didn't get that feeling.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I'm gonna nag the woman to get a pistol permit. So much simpler than the fence/gate. :-) And, guns now come in pink.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:15:48 +0000 (UTC), "SteveB"

I just caught on that SteveB from Utah[AZ?] wasn't SteveB from TX.
Maybe one of you could become TXSteveB or UTSteveB?<g>
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

OK, I'll be SteveBell
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I've been here for about a decade. I'll stick with SteveB.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Fine with me. All is now right with the world.
Cool name, by the way. :-)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

And combined, we contribute a lot here, don't we?
SteveB
Actually, I learn more than i contribute....

Then you are wise as well.
SteveB wrote:

I'll let you know if I get any client requests for service in your area.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Please, NO! I'm retired, and have been for four years. I'm sixty now. I wish on many days I just had a forty hour a week job so I could work less. I have five properties in three states. I travel a lot for various reasons. I have a house and cabin now that are in a constant state of remodeling. I'm building a lot of stuff right now for myself, as my wife is an ex-interior designer, and a HGTV obsessive/compulsive addict on anything that has to do with decorating or moving walls.
On top of that, I broke my back July 4th, and have slowed down temporarily.
I have a full metal shop. A garage full of tools. A forty foot container I just bought to put overflow, and another one on the event horizon. I have people all the time ask me to do this and that, but I have a couple of friends who are handy reliable honest repairmen, and a list of GOOD contractors and subs that I can confidently refer them to.
I was a steel erection contractor for ten years. I worked in the oilfields of the world for twelve. I have built and done a lot of other things in my life. There is some of my work at Hoover Dam that will be visible another 200 years.
I've been around the block so many times, I'm still dizzy. I certainly don't know it all, and frequently step on my dick with statements that are incorrect, but I like trying to guide people either to success with a project or on a learning project so they understand it better.
Right now, I'm getting ready to go to the cabin for four days of hummingbird photography and trout fishing. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Thanks. Welcome to the group. I read all your stuff, and except for the SteveB, agree with you 99.9% of the time. ;-) You sound like a guy I'd like to work with or have work for me. My dad used to have Six Flags as one of his accounts, and we went there every summer during the 1960s after it opened. Stayed at The Inn. It was always a highlight, and there's a golf course in Irving, IIRC, that's really nice. Spent a good bit of time in Texas. Nice place if you don't mind the humidity and skeeters.
SteveB <g>
SteveB wrote:

Thanks for the kind words.
I'm also retired, but from 25 years in the computer business. I got sick of the corporate horsehockey*, and quit to start a handyman service. I get more business than I can handle, and I don't advertise.
*The last straw: I was supervising the helpdesk for my company. We had a long-standing communications issue with the e-mail administrators. Nothing unpleasant, they just didn't get the helpdesk tickets in a timely fashion most of the time. I came up with a solution, and went to my boss to tell her how I was going to solve the problem. She said, "No, we're not going to do that, because that would help the manager of the e-mail department, and I don't like her." I went home and told my wife I was planning to quit.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement