Widest possible gate?

What's the purpose of this gate? Prevent access? Privacy? Both?

If the purpose is only to limit vehicular access, a simple chain with a reflective sign would be sufficient.

Going up from there, a three or four pipe system, like used for livestock barriers, is next.

Reply to
HeyBub

To keep people with bad upbringing from waiting around the corner in the alley at night. Son and I have suggested a pistol permit for his mother, but she hasn't evolved far enough yet.

Yes, the gate will be padlocked.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On 7/28/2008 4:18 AM JoeSpareBedroom spake thus:

Yes, you're imagining this ...

I recently built two large-ish gates (5' wide and pretty heavy) with casters on the swinging side. Eliminates sagging problems. You need to have a smooth, level path for the wheels. And I'd use larger casters (or even one of those semi-pneumatic wheels) next time. But it works fine.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ah, okay. A "deterrence" gate.

First, I don't think she needs a pistol permit (depending on the jurisdiction) if she's on her own property (or very close thereto). A

16-gauge shotgun is also an excellent choice. Be sure to tell her: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"

Second: For a deterrence gate, you'll also need a "Really Bad Dog" sign. The sign, coupled with an infa-red or acoustic trigger for the most inspiring growl you can find (taping the lion at the zoo comes to mind) is also appropriate.

Third, don't neglect the concertina wire.

Reply to
HeyBub

A shotgun's great if you're already in the house. But, nobody comes home from the grocery store hauling a shotgun.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote

Some of us organic garden for fun. No reason to call us bad names because of it.

Reply to
cshenk

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

We all use more pesticides than are needed in various ways. I chose to limit mine as the yard runoff leads to the lines that dump straight to the rivers. I find vinegar works for my needs. Might kill a food plant or so, but no harm eating the produce of it at all even if soaked in it.

I dont know if he above is 'too young' or just prefers to not believe that chemicals leach all over with the ground water.

Reply to
cshenk

In some places, they DO leach into groundwater, or they end up in waste treatment plants which are not designed to remove them. I prefer to assume the worst. He prefers to see the rosy picture. Which way is a bigger gamble?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I didn't call you any names, compost for brains.

Reply to
salty

Or, perhaps knows something you don't because your superstitions prevent you from learning anything that doesn't jibe with your religion.

.
Reply to
salty

The only one imagining things is the one who doesn't know enough about how roundup works. It gets absorbed into the leaves of the plants that it kills and otherwise breaks down into harmless components very rapidly. Ther's nothing to "remove"

Reply to
salty

And yet, there are still concerns about the stuff, from sources which neither you nor I are qualified to question.

You will now ask for a cite.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

Dunno, but they remind us here pretty often that the rainwater runoff goes right into the rivers here. How safe it is to eat the fish, depends on how much you trust your neighbors habits.

I recon at the most, I am doing no harm with my vinegar habits.

Reply to
cshenk

How safe it is to eat the fish is easily determined by checking your state's fishing regulation web site, which will probably contain warnings about certain fish, and will name the contaminants involved.

Salty will now say the contaminants came from outer space, and that dioxin is a naturally occurring vitamin.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You certainly know how to reinforce the notion held by many that you are an idiot, Kanter.

Reply to
salty

You're not exactly a fountain of wisdom at the moment.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You obviously don't understand how roundup works, and how basically non toxic it is. Hell i use it between the rows of my garden.

Steve Barker DLT

I do. I have a 20-gauge with a pistol grip in the car. I guess there are some who don't...

If the gremlins managed to get in my house, thinking they could ambush me [penetrating the burglar bars and alarm system], they would be attacked by a brace of ferocious cats.

As a compromise, Ruger makes a weapon called "The Judge." It's a revolver that fires .410 shotgun AND .45 long Colt cartridges. You can mix-and-match your ammunition, say three shotgun and three pistol rounds.

------- You may want to take your mom to see a new movie: "Taken"* starring Liam Neeson. It illustrates the rule that if you leave a confrontation with unfired bullets, you've wasted a resource.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money.

"What I do have is a very particular set of skills - skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.

"If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it. But if you don't, I will look for you.

"I will find you.

"I will kill you."

I'm telling you, it's the "Bourne Identity" on ampheta-steroids. In one scene, Neeson walks unarmed into a room with seven crazy, armed, Albanians, and kills six of them. The seventh he ties to a chair, rams a spike in each thigh, and hooks him up to the power grid ("I want you to focus"). I call it the "tea-time" scene.

I'm generally ambivalent about chick-flicks, but this one is good.

  • Not yet released in the U.S. (I had to go to Paris to see it). Watch for it though.
Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah OK. Sure.

Reply to