Widest possible gate?

Page 1 of 4

Picture this: An alley between a house and the neighbor's fence. 10 feet wide with a concrete sidewalk which comes around the house. The walk's a couple of feet wide and the rest of the alley is grass. My son wants to place a wooden fence across this alley, but include a gate. It's at his mom's house, so I'm just the advisor. He's talking about using stockade fence sections.
My take on this is that the stationary part of the fence (over the grass) will be one more thing his mother has to use the trimmer on, and she hates the machine. Why not create one big swinging gate that can be opened flush against the neighbor's fence during mowing? I haven't made any calls to lumber yards yet, but could swear I've seen wooden gates that big, probably at farms. Maybe with a roller at the bottom to support the weight?
Or, am I imagining this?

A trimmer, just use roundup and junk the trimmer.

A trimmer, just use roundup and junk the trimmer.
================== Roundup is not an option. This is about mechanical possibilities.
OH, roundup is always an option. It's just a matter of deciding if you WANT to do it the easy way or make it hard. And yes, you can build a gate even if you can't buy one like you want. The biggest deal would be if the sidwalk is higher than the surrounding ground, it may be tricky to have a wheel on the end.

Steve Barker DLT wrote: ...

You can build wooden gates that are as much as 16' w/o needing any wheels...have whole passel of 'em. Do need a good support, however, but a 10-footer wouldn't be much hassle at all if done correctly.
And, if decide want the wheel, the spring-loaded, large diameter guys (you can buy the mechanisms ready-made) will handle it trivially.
But, it's going to be more effort than OP is thinking--the two 5-footers would be a simpler solution if he can get away w/ opening the one against the other property as opposed to his own.

Three feet from a garden full of edibles, chemicals are only an option if you're an idiot.
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:06:22 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

...Or know how to read labels and follow simple instructions.

Yeah. OK.
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

;-) I wouldnt either. Runoff. I would try vinegar though if inclined to have a setup like that.

I guess you went to the same school as Spare brains Kanter. Roundup, when applied properly presents no problem near or IN vegetable gardens. You wouldn't want to apply it directly to your salad as a dressing at the dinner table, but almost all vegetables you buy in a store were grown in fields where Roundup has been used. It breaks down into harmless components very quickly after application.

Good. You use it. Enjoy. Regardless of your age, you're too young to understand why any and all claims of yard chemical safety are lacking in accuracy.
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:11:40 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Bwhahahahahaha!
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

We all use more pesticides than are needed in various ways. I chose to limit mine as the yard runoff leads to the lines that dump straight to the rivers. I find vinegar works for my needs. Might kill a food plant or so, but no harm eating the produce of it at all even if soaked in it.
I dont know if he above is 'too young' or just prefers to not believe that chemicals leach all over with the ground water.

In some places, they DO leach into groundwater, or they end up in waste treatment plants which are not designed to remove them. I prefer to assume the worst. He prefers to see the rosy picture. Which way is a bigger gamble?

The only one imagining things is the one who doesn't know enough about how roundup works. It gets absorbed into the leaves of the plants that it kills and otherwise breaks down into harmless components very rapidly. Ther's nothing to "remove"

And yet, there are still concerns about the stuff, from sources which neither you nor I are qualified to question.
You will now ask for a cite.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No need. As Jesus said: "The fools will always be with us." If someone invented hot water tonight, a movement opposing it would spring up by morning. There have been movements against lightning rods, Fluoridation, blood transfusions, vaccinations, radial tires, flying machines, you name it. Even today, there is agitation against PEX, trans-fats, coffee, and intervention in Iraq.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

I certainly can question any source. Whether it's reasonable or not is yet another question, but certainly an anonymous supposedly impeachable source on usenet isn't precisely my idea of scholarly research... :)

Name 10 news sources which you lean toward trusting more than others.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

That would be variable depending on the subject of the story.
The "news media" I don't think are particularly reliable as a general rule for varying reasons and in varying ways from bias to pure incompetence.