Wide baseboard and kitchen cabinet toe kick?

OK, I'm thinking what's best way to handle this and looking for ideas what others may have done...

ca 1920s farmhouse remodeled in early 80s. Built-in typical kitchen cabinets (actually I built them for the folks when they redid the house) w/ standard toe kick space. Dad used the chintzy vinyl baseboard (I went home after the cabinets were done so didn't get a chance to nyet that :) ) and it has long since passed it's prime (if it ever had one).

Anyway, rest of the house has either 12" or 8" (upstairs) baseboard w/

15" corner blocks at the doors. The corner blocks are still at the doors and I'm looking at replacing the baseboard. The kitchen is small and it seems like the 12" is a little too big so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back w/ 8". Question is is there a better way to come to the face of the cabinet other than just cut out and go under the toe kick?

Rico/Edwin, I remember one of you talking about some wide baseboard not too long ago...you've run into the problem I would imagine. Any creative solutions/alternatives?

W/ all the old houses we did in VA, I don't remember ever trying to fit the baseboard up against a conventional cabinet, amazingly...

Thanks, dpb

--

Reply to
dpb

The 8" is probably good for a kitchen. I'd probably do as you intend, but if the placement allows for it, consider using something like the corner block at the door. Maybe a smaller, thinner version.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Great minds... :) I was, in fact, going to make a few sample blocks of varying widths and see what they looked like. And on the size, I set a piece of the wide in place to evaluate and it seemed to overwhelm the room as the whole kitchen is only 9x12 or thereabouts--small. The 8" seemed, like the three bears, "just right".

Have you seen transitions between shorter base such as this and a full-height base block (14-15")? I know I've seen some transitions in some of those old antebellum VA places but for the life of me can't recall a detail any longer. Of course, that "life" has been almost 30 years ago now... :) I can't seem to find any of the old pictures or documentation on any of that work any longer. :(

Upstairs here where the 8" is the standard they cut the blocks down, too, so they're the same height above the b-board. I'd have loved to have seen what was done originally on the transition from the dining room into the old kitchen, but I can't remember from when I was a kid, unfortunately. It may have been nothing, but I'd surely like to know if there was something else at one time.

Thanks for the input...I'll not get back around to this until midweek w/ other things on the schedule, probably.

- dpb

--

Reply to
dpb

I'd think a cove on the corner of the wider from narrower to top of wider would look fine. If tops of bases are detailed in some manner, do the same to cove.

Reply to
dadiOH