WHY would a phone turn on all by itself ?

Gremlins, I know.
I have a Southwest Bell Freedom phone ( had it for some time now ) which all of sudden ( even when relatively new ) will give a dial tone on the speakerphone , eventually you hear, "If you'd like to make a call, please hang up.", and then that ANH, ANH, ANH, ANH sound = just as if you left the phone off the hook.
It does this periodically - couple of times a year. Not storm related.
I noticed the problem recently when I was not home, came back to use the internet, and had no dial tone from the modem.
I eventually tracked it to THAT phone. I unplugged it and no more problems.
I thought a BELL phone would be quality compared to the crap phones I had. This phone works well except for this problem.
TIA
Conase wrote: ...(clip)...

I hate to disillusion you about the Bell name brand. Southwestern Bell is notorious for quality problems. Don't buy their stuff, period. Toss it and get another brand. I've had decent luck with V-Tech, but brands like Sony and Hitachi are better bets. GE is another brand I would NOT choose. It's a sad state of affairs when American brands are to be avoided because of quality problems, but such reflects some basic problems with American engineering management in general. Don't even get me started on that subject . . . it's one reason I'm an independent.
Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC http://www.h2omarkdesign.com
I agree. I bought a Bell phone 'cause I figured good quality. Wrong.....three months later it was history
Terry
On 07 Jun 2004 18:07:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.mado (Conase) wrote:

I have had problems with every Southwestern Bell thing I bought.
NEVER FORGET!!! http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0109/missing/files/toyen.amy.html
jtees4 wrote:

Chuck it. Some IC chip inside phone is acting up. Not even worth looking into. Phones in my house is Siemens 2.4GHz multi-extension cordless one. Never have any problem insid,e ouside house(in the yard, on the patio). Has quite good range with good sound quality. Tony
Conase:
C > Gremlins, I know.
Have you been feeding them after midnight? <g>
C > I have a Southwest Bell Freedom phone ( had it for some time now ) which a l
I have to agree with the others: junk brand when I sold them years ago.
C > of sudden ( even when relatively new ) will give a dial tone on the C > speakerphone , eventually you hear, "If you'd like to make a call, please h ng C > up.", and then that ANH, ANH, ANH, ANH sound = just as if you left the phon
C > off the hook.
Something triggered it to go off-hook and stay in that mode. What you hear is normal for when a telephone device takes the line off-hook. If it's on the same circuit as a refrigerator or some other high current draw device (electric water heater, air conditioner) then that may be the source of the problem BUT it shouldn't be happening in the first place.
When getting a new phone you might be dazzled by the array of what's out there, specification-wise. It's been a while so some of this information may be a bit outdated:
Analog: Think "speakers". Possible to be picked up easily by other devices.
Digital: Think a computer; one's and zero's. Is a lot more secure. There were two or three different ways to transmit, each with their own particular level of security and range but I've forgotten.
43-49 MHz: I wouldn't even consider. Short range; baby sitter monitors, etc., use this band. Combined with analog transmission you're sure to be heard by your neighbours. IIRC mainly used analog.
900 MHz: Much better range. Analog or the various digital formats.
2.1 GHz: Even better range. As I recall was digital only.
4.9 (?) GHz: Was just coming out when I changed jobs and had increased range over 2.1 GHz.
Depending on what you need you might want to consider a cordless phone set. Has one main base (with the transmitter), a charger unit, and two cordless phones. We have one of those here: the transmitter (with it's charger) is in the kitchen ont he first floor, the second cordless phone (and charger-only base) is in the master bedroom upstairs.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* There's a light at the end of the carpal tunnel.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971