Why won't my outdoor motion sensor lights work with LED light bulbs

I recently purchased LED lights to replace the outdoor motion sensor 65W flood lights. Not one of them worked.
On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 03:44:01 +0000, Allan wrote:

I had the same problem. The sensor uses the load as a drain for the sensing circuit. With filament bulbs, the current is too small to light them. Put a small tungsten bulb in parallel. Experiment to find the smallest wattage that works.
Note: Do not use CFLs. They produce EMI that trips the motion sensor.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 04/04/2016 10:50 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[snip]

I have 2 CFLs in my motion sensor light. They always come on properly.
BTW, these are 2 of the only 3 CFLs I have that take longer than a second or two to reach full brightness.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 08:42:08 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The problem I had was inside. The sensor is in a wall 'box', and is line-of-sight to the interior lights. CFL will come on okay, but constantly re-triggers the sensor.
Outside installs usually block the light from load to sensor, because it usually also contains an ambient light sensor to prevent daytime duty.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 04/05/2016 11:28 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

The one I described is outside. Maybe that explains the difference.
I do have some inside motion sensor lights. These depend on current flow through the bulbs (2-wire switch) and will not work properly with CFL or LED.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

This is not the first time this topic has appared on this newsgroup. Apparently the LED bulbs dont draw enough current to make the sensor work properly. I would assume they now make motion sensor fixtures made *FOR* LED lights, or there would be a lot of complaints and lack of sales. But I'm only guessing this has been done (or will soon be done). Until then, the older fixtures must have at least one "regular" bulb installed.
I'm no fan of motion sensor lights. I think they waste a lot of electricity. On my farm, they would turn on and off all the time. My barn cats, wild critters, swaying trees from wind, rain and snow, and everything else that moved, made them turn on. If I adjusted them to less sensitive, then they did not turn on when I walked toward them until I was real close, and still went on from animals and so on. I just got rid of all of them over time.
I know where there is one in town that turns on everytime a car drives past that building on the road, on a fairly busy street. Who needs that, and why waste electricity like that....
Either way, I'm sure they must have some newer fixtures that work with LED, and the older ones will need to be replaced, but no matter what, I wont install them again. There is one place on my farm where I had to go to the barn at night and would trip on steps, if I was not real careful or had a flashlight. I solved that by putting a light on another building ahead of the barn, with a switch outside (on the other building), which lights up the place with the steps. But since then, I bought a solar powered light which lights up that area every night. But if it was a real cloudy day and the solar light did not charge up well, I still have the switched light.

Jesus has returned to our Earth as the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Made from 100% bleached white flour! Turn him around, and you'll see an "EAT ME" bumper sticker on his back.
On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 11:50:30 PM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:

+1
Except that typically you can't just use the smallest wattage that works because you need sufficient wattage for the lighting application. But if you have 4 of them, you could put one 100W regular bult, three 100W LED. How that looks, IDK in all cases, but I've done it with CFL, that can have the same issue and it looked OK.
On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 07:22:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Or, try to find a model that uses the white wire to drain the sensor instead of the virtual ground through the load.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Yeah, right. Most of them couldn't find their ass with both hands and you expect them to be able to solve that problem? They caused the damn problem!
I expected you to be smarter than that.

whoosh!

You're right, I missed the sarcasm. My original thought was if congress is made aware of the problem they created they will write more laws and make the problem even worse.