Why wait 24 hours after turning an ice cream maker on its side?

That's what I was initially thinking ... that asymmetrical freezing may be damaging somehow to the unit.

At this point, I'm glad I told my wife not to worry about it, but, I noticed she told the grandkids to keep it upright. :)

Reply to
Danny D

-snip-

BS--- I wouldn't own a White mountain just because they don't make a

2qt model. [and they cost 3-4 times what that Cuisinart cost]

I'd consider a 2qt electric- but the dumbest idea in the world would be a 6 quart hand cranked model that might get used once a year--- Vs my 2 qt Kitchenaid attachment [other than the motor, the same idea as that Cuisinart] which makes 10-20 batches of fine ice deserts a year with damn little effort, less mess, and arguably more control.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

UPDATE: So is this strawberry ice cream & chocolate mousse I had for breakfast this morning! :)

In summary, the bucket has a "mystery fluid", which, may or may not affect the bucket when tipped on its side.

It probably doesn't have any effect; however I can conjure up a scenario where it 'could' have an effect, if, perchance, the fluid collects on one side of a honeycomb, then freezes, expanding in the process, and then busting the container.

However, calling the customer support line for Cuisinart wasn't able to discern whether this is the case or not as they didn't have the same wording in their booklets. LESSON LEARNED? Don't trust the warnings you read in the Cuisinart booklet.

Reply to
Danny D

The "fluid" is similar to the fluid used in ice packs that you freeze. I have a similar machine, not Cuisinart, and you can hear the fluid if you shake it when it's at room temp. Like those ice packs, it sounds thin. So, I say BS to the notion that the fluid needs 24 hours to go anywhere.

As others have suggested, I would not be surprised that some dummy there just copied and used parts of the instructions from other ice cream makers that had actual refrigerant units, compressors, etc

Reply to
trader4

Yes. I agree.

In summary, that's the end result.

Thanks.

Reply to
Danny D

Lesson to be learned.....

strawberry ice cream & chocolate mousse for breakfast contributes to and helps maintain "a bit of gut".... :)

Reply to
DD_BobK

:)

Reply to
Danny D

There were competent, literate, intelligent people called technical writers at one time if I remember correctly who would review and proofread all documentation a company supplied to its customers but I supposed they went away with all the other competent, literate, intelligent people who were once common in the workforce. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas