Why TP-Link Archer C5 router can't restablish without mac cloning

Page 2 of 2
On 1/25/16 6:55 PM, Ken Cito wrote:

These 2 webpages may help you.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/MAC_addr_clone.htm
http://www.tp-link.us/faq-68.html
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 20:12:12 -0500, Retired wrote:

Basically, it seems that reference implies Comcast, even though they might not even know it themselves, is requiring *two* MAC addresses for authentication: 1. The MAC address of the docsis3 Costco cable modem, and, 2. Some other MAC address (which seems to be the router, by default).
Had I known that when we set it up, I would have made the router DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE, which at least I can remember.
There was one disturbing sentence in your reference: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/MAC_addr_clone.htm
"some ISPs have started to recognize the MAC addresses of popular routers and disconnect service if a router is detected."
A router is a requirement, not an option; so if they are doing that, they stink as ISPs.
1. Do a full factory reset on your router
2. Power off your modem, router and computer
3. Power up the modem and wait for it to fully connect with Comcast's network.
4. Power up the router and wait 3 minutes.
5. Power up the computer.
You should now have a connection.
If not, throw that TP-Stink POS router in the trash and buy an Asus.