Why there will be no XL pipeline: Warren Buffett

Page 6 of 8
On 3/12/2013 1:22 AM, harry wrote:

All you do is use solar and windmill powered tractors. ^_^
TDD
On Mar 12, 7:59 am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

But don't joke Duf. The Germans have wind turbines sited alongside their railways to help power the HS trains.
On 3/12/2013 2:15 AM, harry wrote:

The operative word is "help". ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 02:59:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Hey, DD, how about solar powered airplanes. Just a few batteries...

That thing is very cool. I read about a hydrogen powered plane that can stay aloft for something like 96 hours. Perhaps a solar and microwave powered high altitude drone used as a communications relay instead of erecting immense antenna towers? The solar drone can fly high above any weather and stay aloft indefinitely. I think it would be a slick way of getting cellphone service to developing countries plus wide open parks and wildlife preserves. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:13:27 -0600, The Daring Dufas

"Oh, the Humanity!"

It's been done. Satellites are cheaper.

I do believe sat-phone service is quite a bit more expensive and doesn't compare with cellphone service. ^_^
http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/satellite/telephones/cell_satellite.html
http://tinyurl.com/c4qvow6
TDD
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:19:27 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I don't see how a more expensive system is going to make the service cheaper. Though for phone service satellites suck (186,000mi/sec isn't just a good idea, it's the law).

If you check out the Global site there are prices for sat-phones and service that look like the old cellphone and service prices. ^_^
TDD
On Mar 18, 12:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Already been done. There are no clouds up there if you get high enough.

# Heh heh. I though you were gonna say it ran on wood chippings. # There was experimental commercial jets running on bio fuel # over here years ago. # I seem to remember there were viscosity problems when # it got very cold. Dunno if they were resolved. # Bio fuel is not the answer anyway, it takes up agricultural space # and needs fuel (for agricultural tractors & other stuff ) to make it. # # http://www.virgin.com/people-and-planet/blog/richard-branson-on-biofuels #
Hell. We'll just use progressives like harry for the biomass. There is a plentiful and self-replenishing supply And they're so full of shit, that they're already half-processed. And considering how stupid and unproductive they are, no one will miss them.
On 3/12/2013 6:50 AM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Oh come on, you don't want to hurt Harry or folks like him. With the opposition gone, what would you do for entertainment? ^_^
TDD

I'm sure I can find something else.
On 3/13/2013 7:11 AM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Well, maybe you can hurt him just a little bit. ^_^
TDD

# The economics of Concorde fell through when the price of oil rose. #
NOPE The economics of Concorde never made it ouf of the hole from the get-go
rest of idiocy snipped
On Mar 10, 3:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Astonishing. You need to be using the train for passenger/goods transport not for moving oil.
On 3/10/2013 1:31 PM, harry wrote:

Is this sophisticated enough for you, Sir Harry, UK Minister of Total Knowledge?
http://www.pbfenergy.com/logistics
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:31:17 -0700 (PDT), harry

We move plenty of freight by rail and I agree trains are not the way to move anything you can pump. It is just passenger rail that doesn't work for big areas in the US. You still can't really get a grasp about how big this place is and haw spread out the cities are. England, Scotland and Wales is about the size of Florida with 3 times the population clustered in cities that are within bicycle distance of each other (or less than 2 kilotons apart in NATO terms)
On Mar 11, 12:30 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Er what about the Chinese?

Er, what about the Concorde? If the Chinese lined up to jump off the Shanghai Financial Center tower, would you be there with them?