Why there will be no XL pipeline: Warren Buffett

# Yeah. Detriot. The monument to American capitalism. # The taxpayer will be left to clear things up. # OH wait, Warren Buffet might pay?
Once again you are seriously confused Actually, right up to the 50s, Detroit was a monument to American Capitalism Then the progressives and unions came online and destroyed the city <http://www.mackinac.org/12832

Who wrote that? One of your tea leafs? Capitalists got greedy, short termism ran riot. GM had to turn to the taxpayer to bail them out. Capitalism failed.
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:57:56 -0700 (PDT), harry

The UAW crushed General Motors. They became a health care and pension company that made cars. The most significant part if the government bail out was that they took over the pensions. If they could have divested themselves of that, they could have survived. The PR of discharging that debt in Chapter 11 bankruptcy was worse than being taken over by the government.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The health care problems were the main reason the UAW was given so much stock in the new company.

Illegally.

UAW workers were being paid an estimated $73.00/hr which is more than I charge a customer per hour for a mechanical/electrical service call. o_O
TDD

My workplace charges $70 for the service call plus $70 per hour. They charge for driving time both ways. We try to group the calls and run a route but that isn't always possible. There is no mileage charge. This is on irrigation systems in Nebraska. Our service season runs from late June to the first week in September or so. The national economy might stink but things are exceptionally good down on the farms.
On 3/12/2013 5:44 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

I'll charge $65/hr for mechanical/electrical service calls and $85/hr for telecom and computer or network related work. The stuff I do with JH for contracting companies varies greatly depending on a bid price. I have one job coming up for $50/hr involving cash register notifiers, those things with the lit numbers and a voice announce telling customers in the queue which register is open. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:28:18 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Those sound like pretty cheap rates. IBM's "per call" rate was $176 an hour 1st shift, $253 2d shift and $322 3d shift in the 80s and early 90s. Later they offered a contract rate for scheduled jobs at $155.
That is why people bought maintenance contracts.
My inspector contract with the state was $58.50 and 29 cents a mile door to door in 2000.

1 and 2 man operations usually charge a lower rate than big corporations and we have a much smaller customer base and don't advertise. Me and my late friend GB with whom I did a lot of HVAC work would charge a lower rate to old folks on fixed incomes. Quite often, all of the old folk's family would call us to do work for them at full price. Amazing how that works. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:45:13 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I find that "Senior" rates are a hoot. They essentially give a discount for the richest segment of society. No problem, I'll pay the $7 for a movie ticket, when a kid making 1/5 of what I do and a negative net worth, pays $12. ;-)

We knew darn well the folks we helped were not swimming in money. Perhaps it takes one to know one? Dog food doesn't taste that good. o_O
TDD
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:02:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Come on, no one eats dog food. It's more expensive than people food. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against giving granny a break but the people older people *are* the richest segment of the population. ...if for no other reason than they've had longer to accumulate money and property.

Old folks eating dog food is a old joke, I think it's origin is the Commiecrats howling about how Republicans were starving grandma. It may be true that many of the oldest folks are well off financially but not all of them are. I will continue to help those who aren't. o_O
TDD
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:04:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Of course.

As a group, they are the wealthiest of all Americans. As a group, they pay less than "the poor" for many things. I find it hilarious that lefties love it. No one said that lefties had any brains.

It's despicable how the P.L.L.C.F. are always trying to scare the elderly with their nonsense. This budget battle going on in D.C. right now has them saying things like "When Grandma falls down, no ambulance will come because Republicans took away the money, she's gonna die right there on the floor." It's not that Leftists have no brains, it's that their brains are warped. o_O
TDD
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:31:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Their leaders are crooks and they have no brain.

So, that is about the going rate? Not dissimilar to over here. I do virtually all my own repairs. The computer, I take to a shop, the man/geek is very reasonable.

http://www.uaw.org/content/wage-increases-entry-level-workers-add-their-base-pay
http://tinyurl.com/b6l4ans
--
Dan Espen

On 3/12/2013 6:08 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

http://www.uaw.org/content/wage-increases-entry-level-workers-add-their-base-pay

The number I read was a conglomeration of all pay and benefits. The site where I saw the $73/hr number is below. Perhaps I should have indicated that in the previous post? o_O
http://www.mackinac.org/12832
TDD