Why there will be no XL pipeline: Warren Buffett

Page 1 of 8
Why will there be no XL Pipeline to bring Canadian oil to the US?
Because Warren wants to play for a while with his new train set.
====================== http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-09/meet-new-us-petroleum-pipelines
Still confused why crony capitalist #1, the "rustic" Octogenarian of Omaha, and Obama tax advisor #1, Warren Buffett has been aggressively attempting to corner the railroad market, while the administration relentlessly refuses to allow assorted new, and very much competing petroleum pipelines from America's neighbor to the north to cross through the US (in gratitude for the former's generous "tax advice" and pedigree by association)? Hint: it's not concern about the environment. The answer is the chart below.
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2013/03/Rail%20car%20loadings%20petroleum.jpg
> Why will there be no XL Pipeline to bring Canadian oil to the US? > > Because Warren wants to play for a while with his new train set. > > ======================> > http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-09/meet-new-us-petroleum-pipelines > > Still confused why crony capitalist #1, the "rustic" Octogenarian of > Omaha, and Obama tax advisor #1, Warren Buffett has been aggressively > attempting to corner the railroad market, while the administration > relentlessly refuses to allow assorted new, and very much competing > petroleum pipelines from America's neighbor to the north to cross > through the US (in gratitude for the former's generous "tax advice" and > pedigree by association)? Hint: it's not concern about the environment. > The answer is the chart below. > > http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2 ...
Railways are the transport of the future. Buffet knows this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highspeed_rail The USA is decades behind, as usual. Oil as a fuel will be virtually extinct in thirty or forty years.
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 00:12:44 -0800 (PST), harry
>Railways are the transport of the future. >Buffet knows this. >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highspeed_rail >The USA is decades behind, as usual. >Oil as a fuel will be virtually extinct in thirty or forty years.
The pipe is still many times more efficient than using a train to move fuel. I also doubt the rest of the world is ahead of the US in freight trains. It is the passenger train that we do not embrace and a lot of that has to do with how spread out we are. You still need to get to and from the train station. Whole countries in Europe are the size of states here and we only have a handful of states with typical European population densities.They have effective mass transit in most of those states.
On Mar 10, 3:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The USA is ideal for passenger trains, especially across the mid West. High speed passenger trains. You could have the fastest rains in the world. But nothing has been done. People in the USA are stuck in the past. And the politicians.

d text -

Sure it is. Do you have any idea how big the US midwest is and how far apart all the cities are? How much expensive high speed track it would take to connect even a decent subset of just some of the major cities? And the point to doing it is what, exactly? When airplanes that can go anywhere are already available? Take a look at the true cost of unsubsidized travel and airplanes are hard to beat. Amtrak for example, which is actually heavily subsidized, has ticket prices that are about the same as the airlines. And that is with the current rail system, not your proposed high speed, which would have to charge substantially higher ticket prices and would still take substantially longer to get you to your destination. So, I;'d say it's you who is stuck in the past.....

ted text -

Have you any idea how big China is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing%E2%80%93Guangzhou%E2%80%93Shenzhen%E2% 80%93Hong_Kong_High-Speed_Railway

ove

of

of

ean

ose

uoted text -

,

g%E2%80%93Guangzhou%E2%80%93Shenzh...- Hide quoted text -

Do you have any idea that China is a communist country, that labor costs, environmental costs, safety considerations, are significantly different than in the USA? That when a state controls everything, fixes prices, wages, material costs, that it's not the real world?
I've been on the fastest train in the world. It connects the Shanghai airport to the city. It was cute, nice to say I've done it, but it offered no overwhelming advantage.
I've been on the Eurostar between London and Paris. WTF is up with that? It takes 2 1/2 hours and the cost is similar to airline prices which takes 1 1/2 hours. Again, there is no compelling advantage. And that is for two cities that are close, not like the US midwest. So, why the fixation on trains?

.

move

t of

e of

opean

those

ins

quoted text -

at,

he

ing%E2%80%93Guangzhou%E2%80%93Shenzh...Hide quoted text -

The advantage is that you can start/finish in the city centre, not have to travel out to an airport. Besides, aircraft/travel will disappear as fossil fuels become expensive. You get a lot more space on the train too.
Why the fixation on flying?
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:01:44 -0700 (PDT), harry

Most people go out of their way to avoid the "city center". We live in the suburbs and the companies are there now too.

rs.

to move

lot of

t to

ize of

uropean

f those

id

rains

de quoted text -

what,

the

et

ijing%E2%80%93Guangzhou%E2%80%93Shenzh...quoted text -

Wow and for that we're supposed to spend trillions of dollars? So people get a little more room on a train versus a plane for a two hour journey?

I have no fixation on flying. I'm not the one proposing that we need more planes. YOU are the one claiming there is something drastically wrong with not having a huge high speed rail system in the USA linking up the midwest. YOU don't even live here. I do and I'm perfectly happy letting the marketplace decide it's own transportation options, not some commie sitting in the UK.

# # The advantage is that you can start/finish in the city centre, not # have to travel out to an airport. # Besides, aircraft/travel will disappear as fossil fuels become # expensive. # You get a lot more space on the train too. # # Why the fixation on flying?
Because it's cheaper and faster for the distances involved in the US, and does NOT require the building of rails for high-speed trains No up-front costs Lower operating costs Better return on Investment.
See how simple that is ?
You're just trying to shove a solution at the wrong problem
On 3/10/2013 11:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

is?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing%E2%80%93Guangzhou%E2%80%93Shenzh...- Hide quoted text -

Try driving a car into a jet.
On 03/10/13 05:21 pm, gonjah wrote:

And how far ahead of time do you have to arrive at the airport compared to how far ahead of time you have to arrive at the train station? And do you get fondled by TSA operatives at the train station?
Perce

The customs on Eurostar was almost nonexistent. I think they stamped my passport and that was about it. There must be some deal between European nations. As far as "how long", I don't know, but I was reading one review that said they preferred the Chunnel to a ferry with regards to driving.

Wow, you really think so? A real world traveler we have here.
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:36:41 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

That will only last until someone tries to blow up a train. After that you will be taking your shoes off to get on Amtrak.
On Mar 11, 12:52 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Already been done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Dutch_train_hostage_crisis

do

risis
It hasn't been done here in the USA and he's right. Any new high speed train would be every bit a target as an airplane. As soon as it happens, you'd have TSA procedures for it. In fact, I would fully expect you'd have those procedures put into place as part of the plan to build it.
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 00:31:07 -0700 (PDT), harry

Not in the US. It may shock you but we don't really follow European news here and we are very detached to what happened there. There was virtually no reaction to that Scandinavian guy who shot up the summer camp but Jodi Arius is the only thing on TV here..
On Mar 11, 3:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

ed

do

It's called being insular, parochial.