Why the wide prong on a plug?

A lot of holiday lights (particularly miniature and LED) have non-polarized plugs. Also, some "wall warts", including the one that came with my new bluetooth headset. The use of a non-polarized plug on these things makes it more versatile.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The UK did redesign its plug and socket )and wiring system) during the war and postwar years to the now current 3-pin, fused 13A type. At that time, of course, there were far fewer electrical appliances in use, and a massive post-war housebuilding programme.

The postwar system uses unlimited numbers of 13A sockets (outlets) for general use within a limited floor area, wired on a ring and protected by a 30A fuse or 32A circuit breaker. This saved copper and allowed more flexibility than having a small number of sockets per fuse. It was considered unsafe to allow appliance flexes to be connected to such a high rated circuit with no further protection, and the plug/ socket combination had to provide the fuse. It was decided to place the fuse in the plug, and to use a new plug configuration so that older unfused plugs could not be used.

Fixed space and water heaters must be supplied by individual circuits, and good practice now is to provide a separate circuit for the kitchen which now has a large number of high load appliances unforseen in

1942.

See

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

One thing I really liked about the UK system was the availability of plugs with integral switches, so that appliances without a built-in switch could still be turned off without pulling the plug.

And, IIRC, separate circuits for lighting and sockets.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

However, I couldn't find any of those the last time I was there -- 8 years ago.

Forgot to mention that the plug-mounted fuses came in a range of current ratings: 2A, 5A, 7A, 10A and 13A, IIRC. I think the plugs normally came with a 13A fuse, but one was supposed to install a fuse appropriate to the appliance to which it was to be connected.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy